时间:2019-01-02 作者:英语课 分类:向前一步


英语课

 I returned to D C. with a plan to attend law school, 当我返回华盛顿后,原计划去上法学院,


but Lant Pritchett, an economist 1 in Larry's office who has devoted 2 his life to the study of poverty, persuaded me that business school would be a better alternative. 但拉里办公室里的一位毕生致力研究贫困现象的经济学家兰特·普里切特劝我说,商学院会是我更好的选择。
I headed back to Cambridge. 于是我回到了坎布里奇,
I tried to stay socially conscious by joining the highly unpopular Nonprofit Club. 加入了相当不受欢迎的非营利性倶乐部,试图保持自己的社会意识。
I also spent my second year studying social marketing 3—how marketing can be used to solve social problems—with Professor Kash Rangan. 我还在入学后的第二年师从卡什·雷根,学习社会营销,通过营销来解决社会问题。
One of the cases we worked on concerned the shortage of organ donations, which results in eighteen deaths each day in the United States alone. 我们的工作案例之一涉及器官捐赠的短缺,这个问题导致仅在美国每天就有18例病患死亡。
I never forgot this case, and seventeen years later, 我从未忘记过这个案例。17年后,
Facebook worked with organ registries around the world to launch a tool to encourage donor 4 registration 5. 脸谱网与世界各地的器官捐赠注册机构合作,呼吁人们作为器官捐赠者进行登记注册。
After business school, I took a job as a consultant 6 at McKinsey & Company in Los Angeles. 从商学院毕业后,我去了位于洛杉矶的麦肯锡公司做顾问。
The work never entirely 7 suited me, 这份工作很不适合我,
so I stayed for only a year and then moved back to D.C. to join Larry, who was now deputy secretary of the Treasury 8 Department. 所以一年后我又回到财政部与拉里·萨默斯一起工作,萨默斯当时已是美国财政部副部长。
At first, I served as his special assistant. 我一开始是他的特别助理,
Then, when he was named secretary, I became his chief of staff. 当萨默斯被任命为美国财政部部长后,我就成了他的首席幕僚。
My job consisted of helping 9 Larry manage the operations of the department and its $14 billion budget. 我的工作内容包括帮助萨默斯教授管理其办公室日常工作及140亿美元的预算,
It gave me the opportunity to participate in economic policy at both a national and an international level. 这让我有机会同时从美国国内和国际的双重层面参与经济政策领域的工作。

n.经济学家,经济专家,节俭的人
  • He cast a professional economist's eyes on the problem.他以经济学行家的眼光审视这个问题。
  • He's an economist who thinks he knows all the answers.他是个经济学家,自以为什么都懂。
adj.忠诚的,忠实的,热心的,献身于...的
  • He devoted his life to the educational cause of the motherland.他为祖国的教育事业贡献了一生。
  • We devoted a lengthy and full discussion to this topic.我们对这个题目进行了长时间的充分讨论。
n.行销,在市场的买卖,买东西
  • They are developing marketing network.他们正在发展销售网络。
  • He often goes marketing.他经常去市场做生意。
n.捐献者;赠送人;(组织、器官等的)供体
  • In these cases,the recipient usually takes care of the donor afterwards.在这类情况下,接受捐献者以后通常会照顾捐赠者。
  • The Doctor transplanted the donor's heart to Mike's chest cavity.医生将捐赠者的心脏移植进麦克的胸腔。
n.登记,注册,挂号
  • Marriage without registration is not recognized by law.法律不承认未登记的婚姻。
  • What's your registration number?你挂的是几号?
n.顾问;会诊医师,专科医生
  • He is a consultant on law affairs to the mayor.他是市长的一个法律顾问。
  • Originally,Gar had agreed to come up as a consultant.原来,加尔只答应来充当我们的顾问。
ad.全部地,完整地;完全地,彻底地
  • The fire was entirely caused by their neglect of duty. 那场火灾完全是由于他们失职而引起的。
  • His life was entirely given up to the educational work. 他的一生统统献给了教育工作。
n.宝库;国库,金库;文库
  • The Treasury was opposed in principle to the proposals.财政部原则上反对这些提案。
  • This book is a treasury of useful information.这本书是有价值的信息宝库。
n.食物的一份&adj.帮助人的,辅助的
  • The poor children regularly pony up for a second helping of my hamburger. 那些可怜的孩子们总是要求我把我的汉堡包再给他们一份。
  • By doing this, they may at times be helping to restore competition. 这样一来, 他在某些时候,有助于竞争的加强。
标签: 向前一步