向前一步:第81期 职业生涯中的长远梦想及短期目标(13)
英语课
In that first deal, I said too much. 在第一次谈判中,我说得太多了。
This was not a shock to anyone who knows me. Once I identified this weakness, I sought help to correct it. 了解我的人都会见怪不怪。当我意识到这个缺点,我就希望能有人帮助我纠正它。
I turned to Maureen Taylor, a communications coach, who gave me an assignment 1. 我找到沟通技巧培训师莫琳·泰勒,她给我布置了一项功课。
She told me that for one week I couldn't give my opinion unless asked. 她告诉我,在未来一周时间内,我都不能表达自己的看法,除非别人征求我的意见。
It was one of the longest weeks of my life. 这7天对我来说,是此生最漫长的一个星期。
If I had bitten my tongue each time I started to express my opinion, I would have had no tongue left. 如果我每次在表达意见时都咬一下舌头,大概早就把舌头咬掉了。
Trying to overcorrect is a great way to find middle ground. 试着矫枉过正,这对于找到平衡点很有帮助。
In order for me to speak the right amount in a meeting, I have to feel as if I am saying very little. 为了在会议中讲话适度,我必须意识到自己说得太多,
People who are shy will have to feel like they are saying way too much. 而那些腼腆的人则应意识到自己说得太少。
I know a woman who naturally talks softly 2 and forces herself to "shout" in business meetings just to speak at an average volume 3. 我认识的一个女性在平常说话时语气过于轻柔,所以她迫使自己在开会时“喊出声来”,以便增大音量。
Overriding 4 our natural tendencies is very difficult. 克服自己某种天生的自然倾向是非常困难的,
In all the years I've been trying, I can only think of a few times when someone said to me, "Sheryl, I wish you had spoken up more in that meeting." 这么多年来我一直在努力。“谢丽尔,我真希望那次会上你能多说两句”——这种话几乎没有人对我说过。
Omid did it once and I hugged him. 就奥米德说过一次,当时我给了他一个大大的拥抱。
Eric turned out to be absolutely right about Google, and I will always be grateful 5 to him and to Larry Page and Sergey Brin for taking a chance on me. 埃里克·施密特对谷歌公司的判断是相当正确的,对于他、还有萨默斯和谢尔盖这些给我机会的人,我一直心怀感激。
n.任务,作业;分配,指定
- His assignment was to follow the spy.分配给他的工作是跟踪这个间谍。
- He has got a new assignment.他得到一项新任命。
adv.柔和地,静静地,温柔地
- He speaks too softly for her to hear.他讲话声音太轻,她听不见。
- She breathed her advice softly.她低声劝告。
n.卷,册,体积,量,大量,音量
- This volume records the history of the country's revolution.这卷书记载了这个国家的革命历史。
- The volume of this container is 1000 cubic metres.这个集装箱的容量是1000立方米。
a.最主要的
- Development is of overriding importance. 发展是硬道理
- My overriding concern is to raise the standards of state education. 我最关心的是提高国民教育水平。
标签:
向前一步