向前一步:第89期 如何找到你的人生导师(3)
英语课
The emphasis on finding a mentor 1 became especially clear to me when I went back to speak at Harvard Business School in the spring of 2011. 2011年春天,我回到哈佛商学院做演讲时,已相当清楚导师的重要性。
I was invited by Dean Nitin Nohria, who joined me onstage and conducted the interview. 邀请我做演讲的尼廷·诺瑞亚院长也和我一起上台,并对我进行了采访。
His first questions centered on Facebook and what it was like to work for Mark. 他的第一个问题关注的是脸谱网以及我为马克·扎克伯格工作的感觉如何。
I told him that I loved it, except on days when coworkers said things like, "Sheryl, can you look at this? 我告诉他我非常热爱这份工作,除了有些时候同事们会说“谢丽尔,你能看看这个吗?
We need to know what old people will think of this feature." 我们需要知道年纪大些的人怎么看待这项功能”之类的话。
We discussed the Arab Spring and a slew 2 of other timely topics. 在讨论了一连串时事话题后,
Dean Nohria then asked me a question about women in the workforce 3. 诺瑞亚院长又向我提到了职场女性。
I'm not sure what possessed 4 me, but I turned to look at the audience, paused, and answered with brutal 5 honesty. 我说不清楚是什么原因促使我转向观众,稍作停顿,然后以残酷又坦率的口吻回答道:
"If current trends continue, fifteen years from today, “照目前这种趋势发展的话,15年后,
about one-third of the women in this audience will be working full-time 6 and almost all of you will be working for the guy you are sitting next to." 在座的女性观众中将有1/3忙于全职工作,而且几乎所有的女生都会为坐在你身边的这些男性工作。”
Dead silence in the large auditorium 7. 这时,观众席上一片静寂。
I continued, "I'm sorry if this sounds harsh or surprises anyone, but this is where we are. 我继续说道,“如果我的话听起来很刺耳或让你震惊,我很抱歉。不过事实就是如此,
If you want the outcome to be different, you will have to do something about it." 若想要结果有所不同,你们就要立刻采取行动。”
On that strained note, Dean Nohria ended the interview and turned to the audience for a Q&A. 就在这段让气氛略显尴尬的采访结束之后,便进入了现场问答环节。
A number of men leapt to the microphone and posed thoughtful, big-picture questions like 有不少男性观众很快就凑到话筒前提出了引人深思的问题,比如:
"What did you learn at Google that you are applying at Facebook?" and "How do you run a platform company and ensure stability for your developers?" “你在谷歌学到并且还能在脸谱网运用的东西是什么?”,“你如何管理一个平台型公司并保证开发队伍的稳定性?”
n.指导者,良师益友;v.指导
- He fed on the great ideas of his mentor.他以他导师的伟大思想为支撑。
- He had mentored scores of younger doctors.他指导过许多更年轻的医生。
v.(使)旋转;n.大量,许多
- He slewed the car against the side of the building.他的车滑到了大楼的一侧,抵住了。
- They dealt with a slew of other issues.他们处理了大量的其他问题。
n.劳动大军,劳动力
- A large part of the workforce is employed in agriculture.劳动人口中一大部分受雇于农业。
- A quarter of the local workforce is unemployed.本地劳动力中有四分之一失业。
adj.疯狂的;拥有的,占有的
- He flew out of the room like a man possessed.他像着了魔似地猛然冲出房门。
- He behaved like someone possessed.他行为举止像是魔怔了。
adj.残忍的,野蛮的,不讲理的
- She has to face the brutal reality.她不得不去面对冷酷的现实。
- They're brutal people behind their civilised veneer.他们表面上温文有礼,骨子里却是野蛮残忍。
adj.满工作日的或工作周的,全时间的
- A full-time job may be too much for her.全天工作她恐怕吃不消。
- I don't know how she copes with looking after her family and doing a full-time job.既要照顾家庭又要全天工作,我不知道她是如何对付的。
n.观众席,听众席;会堂,礼堂
- The teacher gathered all the pupils in the auditorium.老师把全体同学集合在礼堂内。
- The stage is thrust forward into the auditorium.舞台向前突出,伸入观众席。
标签:
向前一步