向前一步:第69期 职业生涯中的长远梦想及短期目标(1)
英语课
Chapter 4 It's a Jungle Gym, Not a Ladder 第4章 职业生涯中的长远梦想及短期目标
About a month after I joined Facebook, I got a call from Lori Goler, a highly regarded senior director of marketing 1 at eBay. 在加入脸谱网一个月后,我接到了易趣的高级营销主管洛里·戈勒的电话。
I knew Lori a bit socially, but she made it clear this was a business call and cut to the chase. 我认识戈勒,她是一位受人尊重的女高管。这次,她明确了要谈谈公事。
"I want to apply to work with you at Facebook," she said. “我想和你一起在脸谱网工作,”她开门见山地说,
"So I thought about calling you and telling you all of the things I'm good at and all of the things I like to do. “我应该告诉你我擅长做的以及想要做的事,
Then I figured that everyone was doing that. 但我发现每个人都在这么做。
So instead, I want to ask you: What is your biggest problem, and how can I solve it?" 所以,我想问问你:你现在最大的问题是什么?我该怎么帮你解决?”
My jaw 2 hit the floor. 她的话让我大吃一惊。
I had hired thousands of people over the previous decade and no one had ever said anything remotely like that. 在过去的十多年里,我雇用了成千上万名员工,没有任何人说过类似的话。
People usually focus on finding the right role for themselves, with the implication that their skills will help the company. 人们通常会专注于为自己找到合适的职位,并说明自己的技能将对公司有何帮助。
Lori put Facebook's needs front and center. It was a killer 3 approach. 戈勒则把脸谱网的需要放到了第一位,这的确是种极好的方式。
I responded, "Recruiting is my biggest problem. And, yes, you can solve it." 我回应道:“招聘是我最大的难题。是的,我相信你能解决它。”
Lori never dreamed she would work in recruiting, but she jumped in. 戈勒没想过自己会做招聘工作,但她还是马上应允了,
She even agreed to drop down a level, since this was a new field for her and she was willing to trade seniority for acquiring new skills. 甚至同意降低一个职级,因为她将进入一个全新的领域,而且她也愿意接受挑战。
Lori did a great job running recruiting and within months was promoted to her current job, leading People at Facebook. 戈勒在招聘工作中表现出色,几个月后就被提升至她现在的职位——脸谱网的人事主管。
When I asked her recently if she wanted to go back to marketing someday, 最近,当我问她是否愿意再回到营销领域,
she responded that she believes human resources allows her to have a greater overall impact. 她回答说人力资源的工作能让她对公司产生更大的影响。
n.行销,在市场的买卖,买东西
- They are developing marketing network.他们正在发展销售网络。
- He often goes marketing.他经常去市场做生意。
n.颚,颌,说教,流言蜚语;v.喋喋不休,教训
- He delivered a right hook to his opponent's jaw.他给了对方下巴一记右钩拳。
- A strong square jaw is a sign of firm character.强健的方下巴是刚毅性格的标志。
标签:
向前一步