向前一步:第31期 职业女性的内在障碍(20)
英语课
In bright red letters, one declares, "Fortune favors the bold." 其中有一张海报印着亮红色的宣言:“机遇青睐敢于冒险的人。”
Another insists, "Proceed and be bold." 还有一张是:“完成胜过完美。”
My favorite reads, "What would you do if you weren't afraid?" 我最喜欢的一张是:“如果心无恐惧,你会做什么?”
In 2011, Debora Spar, president of Barnard College, an all-women's liberal arts school in New York City, invited me to deliver its commencement address. 2011年,纽约一所文科女校巴纳德学院的院长德波拉·斯帕邀请我在这所学校的毕业典礼上发表演说。
This speech was the first time I openly discussed the leadership ambition gap. 这是我第一次公开演讲,讨论男性和女性在进取心方面的差距。
Standing 1 on the podium, I felt nervous. 站在讲台上也很容易让我情绪紧张。
I told the members of the graduating class that they should be ambitious 2 not just in pursuing their dreams but in aspiring 3 to become leaders in their fields. 我告诉毕业班的女学生,她们应该有雄心,不仅要勇于追求自己的梦想,还要争取在自己的领域中成为领导者。
I knew this message could be misinterpreted as my judging women for not making the same choices that I have. 我知道,这个观点会被误读成我在对那些没有做出和我同样选择的女性进行价值判断。
Nothing could be farther from the truth. 但事实并非如此。
I believe that choice means choice for all of us. 我相信对每个人来说,个人的选择就意味着群体的选择;
But I also believe that we need to do more to encourage women to reach for leadership roles. 我也相信女性需要被大力鼓励去争取领导者的角色。
If we can't tell women to aim high at a college graduation, when can we? 如果不在她们大学毕业时就告诉她们要放眼高处,那么什么时候才合适呢?
As I addressed the enthusiastic women, I found myself fighting back tears. 当我向毕业班那些热情高涨的女生们发表演说时,我极力控制着自己不要流下眼泪,
I made it through the speech and concluded with this: 并且一直坚持到以下这段话结束:
You are the promise for a more equal world. 你们是未来那个更加平等的世界的希望。
So my hope for everyone here is that after you walk across this stage, 所以我对你们每个人的期望是:今晚当你走过这个舞台,
after you get your diploma, after you go out tonight and celebrate hard—you then will lean way in to your career. 在拿到学位大肆庆祝之后,你们会投入到真正的职场当中去。
You will find something you love doing and you will do it with gusto. 你们会找到自己喜欢做的事,并且满怀热情地去做。
Find the right career for you and go all the way to the top. 请找到适合自己的事业,而后坚持走向顶峰。
As you walk off this stage today, you start your adult life. 过了今天,你们就将开始成年人的生活。
Start out by aiming high. Try—and try hard. 在出发时,你们应该定下远大的目标,不断努力,要非常努力。
n.持续,地位;adj.永久的,不动的,直立的,不流动的
- After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
- They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
adj.有雄心的,劲头十足的,有野心的
- One may be poor but never ceases to be ambitious.人穷志不穷。
- He is an ambitious young man full of enthusiasm and vitality.他是个充满热情与活力的有远大抱负的青年。
标签:
向前一步