向前一步:第45期 往桌前坐(13)
英语课
One of the things I tell people these days is that there is no perfect fit when you're looking for the next big thing to do. 如今我常跟人提到,当寻找你的下一个目标时,其实没有所谓的完全合适的时机。
You have to take opportunities and make an opportunity fit for you, rather than the other way around. 你得主动抓住机会,创造一个适合自己的机会,而不是一味地拒绝。
The ability to learn is the most important quality a leader can have." 学习能力是一个领导者必须具备的最重要的特质。”
Virginia Rometty, IBM's first female 1 CEO, IBM公司的第一位女性首席执行官金妮·罗梅蒂,
told the audience at the 2011 Fortune Most Powerful Women Summit 2 that early in her career, she was offered a "big job." 对参加2011年《财富》全球最具影响力女性峰会上的观众说,在事业刚起步时,她接到了一份“重要工作”。
She worried that she lacked the proper experience and told the recruiter 3 that she needed to think about it. 她担心自己没有正式工作经验,就告诉招聘人员自己需要考虑考虑。
That night, she discussed the offer with her husband, who pointed 4 out, "Do you think a man would have ever answered that question that way?" 当天晚上,她与丈夫聊起这次工作机会,她丈夫问道:“你觉得一个男人会像你一样回答那个问题吗?”
"What it taught me was you have to be very confident," Ginni said. “这件事教会了我,一个人必须非常自信,”罗梅蒂告诉记者,
"Even though you're so self-critical inside about what it is you may or may not know. “即使你内心对于自己知道什么、不知道什么有着严格的评判标准。
And that, to me, leads to taking risks." 而且,对我来说,这也意味着自己将承担一定的风险。”
I continue to be alarmed not just at how we as women fail to put ourselves forward, but also at how we fail to notice and correct for this gap 5. 我一直担心的,不仅在于女性不太愿意毛遂自荐,还在于我们没有关注并纠正这种心理上的差距。
And that "we" includes me. “我们”也包括我自己。
A few years ago, I gave a talk on gender 6 issues to a few hundred employees at Facebook. 几年前,我曾对脸谱网几百名员工做过一次关于性别问题的演讲。
After my speech, I took questions for as long as time permitted. 演讲结束后,我在时间允许的情况下尽可能多地回答他们的问题。
Later that afternoon, I came back to my desk, where a young woman was waiting to talk to me. 那天下午,我回到办公室,一位年轻的女员工正等着和我谈话。
adj.雌的,女(性)的;n.雌性的动物,女子
- We only employ female workers.我们只雇用女工。
- The animal in the picture was a female elephant.照片上的动物是头母象。
n.最高点,峰顶;最高级会议;极点
- They climbed up the mountain and reached the summit.他们爬山,最终达到了山顶。
- The summit of the mountain is lost in the cloud and mist.山顶隐没在云雾之中。
n.招募者
- The tele recruiter is prompted by a variety of questions, depending on your answers. 针对你不同的回答,这位考官还会提出些不同的问题。
- A recruiter can give you insider pointers and advice. 一个招聘人可以为你提供内行人的观点与建议。
adj.尖的,直截了当的
- He gave me a very sharp pointed pencil.他给我一支削得非常尖的铅笔。
- She wished to show Mrs.John Dashwood by this pointed invitation to her brother.她想通过对达茨伍德夫人提出直截了当的邀请向她的哥哥表示出来。
n.缺口;间隔;差距;不足,缺陷
- We must see that there is no gap in our defence.我们必须确保我们的防御没有漏洞。
- There is a gap of five miles between towns.镇与镇之间相隔五英里。
标签:
向前一步