向前一步:第48期 往桌前坐(16)
英语课
This put me ahead of First Lady Michelle Obama and Indian politician Sonia Gandhi. Absurd. 而且,我居然排在米歇尔·奥巴马和索尼娅·甘地的前面,这太荒谬了。
My own mother called to say, "Well, dear, I do think you are very powerful, 我母亲打电话来说:“亲爱的,我的确认为你很有影响力,
but I am not sure you are more powerful than Michelle Obama." You think? 但跟米歇尔·奥巴马比就很难说了。”你认为呢?
Far from feeling powerful, I felt embarrassed and exposed. 我真没觉得自己有多大的影响力,反倒感觉被暴露在公众视野里,很是窘迫。
When colleagues at Facebook stopped me in the halls to say congratulations, I pronounced the list "ridiculous." 当脸谱网的同事在办公楼里拦住我大加称赞时,我告诉他们这个排行榜是“可笑的”。
When friends posted the link on Facebook, I asked them to take it down. 当朋友们在脸谱网上发布新闻链接时,我请他们删掉帖子。
After a few days, my longtime executive assistant, Camille Hart, summoned me into a conference room and closed the door. This was serious. 几天后,长期担任我的执行助理的卡米尔·哈特把我叫进会议室,并关上门——这是一次严肃的谈话。
She told me that I was handling the Forbes thing poorly 她告诉我,我对福布斯排行榜这件事处理得很差劲,
and that I needed to stop subjecting anyone who brought up the list to a diatribe 1 on its absurdity 2. 我应该立即停止与那些提起福布斯排行榜的人争论“为什么这件事是荒谬可笑的”。
I was showing too many people how uncomfortable I felt and revealing my insecurity. 我在太多人面前表现出了自己的不自在和不安全感,
Instead, I needed to simply say, "Thank you." 其实,我只需要说声“谢谢”就可以了。
We all need colleagues like Camille, who was honest enough to point out my less-than-gracious response. 我们都需要像卡米尔这样的同事,他们会真诚地指出我不合宜的回应。她是对的。
She was right. Whether the list was ridiculous or not, I didn't write it and I didn't have to react negatively to it. 不管排行榜是否荒谬,我不是发起者,也没有必要产生过于负面的反应。
I doubt a man would have felt so overwhelmed by others' perception of his power. 我怀疑,一个男人会不会因为感到自己越来越有影响力而不知所措。
n.抨击,抨击性演说
- He launched a diatribe against the younger generation.他对年轻一代发起了长篇抨击。
- The book is a diatribe against the academic left.这本书对学术左派进行了长时间的谩骂。
标签:
向前一步