向前一步:第113期 真实地表达自己的想法与情绪(9)
英语课
This got repeated as "Rubin likes gold," and someone spent millions of dollars to please the new boss. 这句话经过多次转述后被演绎成了“鲁宾对黄金感兴趣”。随后,就有人打算花费数百万美元来取悦这位新老板。
More than a decade later, I experienced my own "Rubin likes gold" moment. 十多年以后,我也有了一段类似“鲁宾对黄金感兴趣”的经历。
When I joined Facebook, I faced a dilemma 1: I needed to bolster 2 the business side of the company while respecting its unconventional culture. 我刚加入脸谱网就面临两难的处境:一方面我要提高公司的经营水平,同时也要尊重它的非传统文化。
Most corporations love PowerPoint presentations, so I encouraged people not to prepare them for meetings with me, 许多公司都喜欢用PowerPoint(PPT,一款演示文稿软件)做演示,但我提议大家和我开会时不用准备PPT,
but instead to come with a simple list of topics. 只要有一个简单的要点清单就可以了。
I repeated this frequently, but every meeting seemed to include a detailed 3 PowerPoint presentation anyway. 我常常这么说,但每次开会时员工都会准备一份详尽的PPT报告。
After more than two years of frustration 4, I announced that although I hated making rules, I was making one: no more PowerPoint in my meetings. 两年多以后,我满怀挫败感地宣布,尽管我不喜欢冰冷的规定,但现在必须声明:开会时不准再出现PPT。
A few weeks later, as I was getting ready to speak to our global sales team, 几周后,当我准备与全球销售团队谈话时,
Kirsten Nevill-Manning, a skilled human resources leader at Facebook, came to find me. 脸谱网的资深人力资源主管柯尔斯滕·内维尔–曼宁来找我。
Kirsten thought I should know that everyone in Europe was upset with me. 她认为我应该知道欧洲客户对我很不满意。
Really? I angered an entire continent? 真的吗?整个欧洲大陆都被我惹急了?
She explained that client meetings were very difficult without PowerPoint and asked why I would make such a stupid rule. 她解释说客户会议没有PPT很麻烦,还问为什么我会有这么一条愚蠢的规定。
I explained that I had intended the rule to apply only to presentations to me. 我解释说这条规定只在对我做汇报时才有效。
But just as the Goldman team heard "Gold = good," the Facebook team heard "PowerPoint = bad." 但就像高盛的员工听到“黄金=好”一样,脸谱网的员工听到的就是“PPT=坏”。
n.困境,进退两难的局面
- I am on the horns of a dilemma about the matter.这件事使我进退两难。
- He was thrown into a dilemma.他陷入困境。
n.枕垫;v.支持,鼓励
- The high interest rates helped to bolster up the economy.高利率使经济更稳健。
- He tried to bolster up their morale.他尽力鼓舞他们的士气。
adj.详细的,详尽的,极注意细节的,完全的
- He had made a detailed study of the terrain.他对地形作了缜密的研究。
- A detailed list of our publications is available on request.我们的出版物有一份详细的目录备索。
n.挫折,失败,失效,落空
- He had to fight back tears of frustration.他不得不强忍住失意的泪水。
- He beat his hands on the steering wheel in frustration.他沮丧地用手打了几下方向盘。
标签:
向前一步