向前一步:第116期 真实地表达自己的想法与情绪(12)
英语课
I have also learned the hard way that being open to hearing the truth means taking responsibility for mistakes. 我也曾辛酸地体会到,保持开放的心态迎接真相也意味着要为自己的错误负责。
In my first week as chief of staff at Treasury 1, I had the chance to work directly with the heads of the department bureaus. 在美国财政部做首席幕僚的头几个星期里,我有机会直接和各部门负责人一起工作。
There is a right and a wrong way to start a working relationship. I chose the wrong way. 一个人的工作方式难免有对有错,当时我恰恰选择了错误的方式。
My first call was to Ray Kelly, who was then commissioner 2 of the U.S. Customs Service and now serves as New York City's police commissioner. 我的第一个电话打给了雷·凯利,他那时任美国海关总署署长,现任纽约警察局局长。
The impression I made was that my job was to demand and his job was to listen. It was a mistake. 我的电话给他的印象是,我的工作就是提要求,他的工作则是听从要求。我显然犯了大错误。
Ray's response was quick and clear. 从凯利那头传来的回答快速又干脆:
"(Expletive), Sheryl," he explained. "Just because I'm not in Larry Summers's (expletive) thirty-year-old brain trust doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm doing! “(咒骂语)谢丽尔,我不在拉里·萨默斯(咒骂语)的30岁智囊团里,并不代表我不知道自己在干什么!
If Secretary Summers wants something from me, tell him to (expletive) call me himself!" 如果萨默斯部长想从我这里知道什么,让他(咒骂语)自己打电话给我!”
Then he hung up the phone. 随后他便挂了电话。
I thought, This is not going well. My first week on the job and I'd angered a man who knows a thing or two about firearms. 我心想这可不太妙,工作刚一个星期就惹恼了一个对枪支略知一二的男人。
After I stopped shaking, I realized that Commissioner Kelly had done me a huge favor. 镇定下来后,我意识到凯利署长其实帮了我很大的忙:
His "feedback" was extremely helpful and delivered in a way that I would never forget. 他的“反馈”非常有用,而且他用了一种我绝对不可能忘记的方式传达出来。
I reassessed my outreach strategy. 我重新评估了自己的外联策略。
n.宝库;国库,金库;文库
- The Treasury was opposed in principle to the proposals.财政部原则上反对这些提案。
- This book is a treasury of useful information.这本书是有价值的信息宝库。
n.(政府厅、局、处等部门)专员,长官,委员
- The commissioner has issued a warrant for her arrest.专员发出了对她的逮捕令。
- He was tapped for police commissioner.他被任命为警务处长。
标签:
向前一步