公众人物毕业演讲 第118期:奥巴马美国军事学院(21)
时间:2018-12-30 作者:英语课 分类:公众人物毕业演讲
英语课
This should be one of the hard-earned lessons of Iraq and Afghanistan where our military became the strongest advocate for diplomacy 1 and development
这是伊拉克和阿富汗的艰苦经历告诉我们的我们的军队已经成为外交和发展最有力的倡导者
They understood that foreign assistance is not an afterthought something nice to do apart from our national defense 2, apart from our national security
他们知道 对外援助并不只是锦上添花并不只是同国防无关 同国家安全无关的添饰
It is part of what makes us strong
而是让我们强大的重要因素之一
Ultimately, global leadership requires us to see the world as it is with all its danger and uncertainty 3
最终 全球领导要求我们认清世界是怎样的认清所有的危险和不确定性
We have to be prepared for the worst prepared for every contingency 4
我们必须为最坏情况做好准备提前备好一切应急措施
But American leadership also requires us to see the world as it should be
此外 美国领导还要求我们认清世界应该是怎样的
a place where the aspirations 5 of individual human beings really matters where hopes and not just fears govern
这个世界中 人类个体愿望的重要性应当得到体现人们不能只被恐惧支配 人们应当拥有希望
where the truths written into our founding documents can steer 6 the currents of history in a direction of justice
我们建国文献中铭刻的真理应当将历史的潮流引向正义的方向
And we cannot do that without you
要实现这些 我们需要你们的力量
Class of 2014, you have taken this time to prepare on the quiet banks of the Hudson
2014届毕业生 你们在静静的哈德逊河畔做好了准备
You leave this place to carry forward a legacy 7 that no other military in human history can claim
你们将带着伟大遗产离开这里 这些是人类历史上其它任何军队都没有的
You do so as part of a team that extends beyond your units or even our Armed Forces
你们将参与的团队将不再只是作战团队
for in the course of your service you will work as a team with diplomats 8 and development experts
你们在服役期间将会同外交官和发展专家一同工作
You'll get to know allies and train partners
你们将认识盟友 训练伙伴
人物简介
本视频是美国总统奥巴马5月28日在西点军校毕业典礼上的演讲,奥巴马强调美国并没有衰落,而是一如既往的强盛,甚至在一些方面比以往任何时候都更加强盛。演讲通篇强调美国在新世纪的领导地位,奥巴马指出美国要考虑的问题不是“能否领导”,而是“如何领导”,并对未来的美国领导方式提出了几点要求。演讲中还涉及到了中国在南海同东南亚国家的争端,表达出美国及其盟友对中国经济崛起和军事扩张的不安。
n.外交;外交手腕,交际手腕
- The talks have now gone into a stage of quiet diplomacy.会谈现在已经进入了“温和外交”阶段。
- This was done through the skill in diplomacy. 这是通过外交手腕才做到的。
n.防御,保卫;[pl.]防务工事;辩护,答辩
- The accused has the right to defense.被告人有权获得辩护。
- The war has impacted the area with military and defense workers.战争使那个地区挤满了军队和防御工程人员。
n.易变,靠不住,不确知,不确定的事物
- Her comments will add to the uncertainty of the situation.她的批评将会使局势更加不稳定。
- After six weeks of uncertainty,the strain was beginning to take its toll.6个星期的忐忑不安后,压力开始产生影响了。
n.意外事件,可能性
- We should be prepared for any contingency.我们应该对任何应急情况有所准备。
- A fire in our warehouse was a contingency that we had not expected.库房的一场大火是我们始料未及的。
强烈的愿望( aspiration的名词复数 ); 志向; 发送气音; 发 h 音
- I didn't realize you had political aspirations. 我没有意识到你有政治上的抱负。
- The new treaty embodies the aspirations of most nonaligned countries. 新条约体现了大多数不结盟国家的愿望。
vt.驾驶,为…操舵;引导;vi.驾驶
- If you push the car, I'll steer it.如果你来推车,我就来驾车。
- It's no use trying to steer the boy into a course of action that suits you.想说服这孩子按你的方式行事是徒劳的。
n.遗产,遗赠;先人(或过去)留下的东西
- They are the most precious cultural legacy our forefathers left.它们是我们祖先留下来的最宝贵的文化遗产。
- He thinks the legacy is a gift from the Gods.他认为这笔遗产是天赐之物。