常春藤生活英语【51】Marry Me! 求婚记
时间:2018-11-30 作者:英语课 分类:常春藤生活英语
It was Valentine's Day, and Jenny and her boyfriend were hanging out in the night market. Every year they did the same thing. Even so, Jenny really enjoyed being together with her boyfriend.
At first, it seemed like just an ordinary date. Jenny and her boyfriend treated themselves to a nice dinner. Then they walked along the busy street hand in hand as they happily talked to each other. Jenny didn't have a clue that something unexpected was about to happen. All of a sudden, she saw a giant balloon that said, "Marry Me, Jenny."
At that moment, Jenny's boyfriend kneeled down on one knee, took out a diamond ring, and said, "Will you marry me, Jenny?" Jenny couldn't believe her boyfriend was proposing to her. Her eyes were filled with tears. She nodded her head and then said yes. It was her most romantic Valentine's Day ever.
这天是情人节,珍妮和她男友在夜市里闲逛。每年她们都做同样的事。即便如此,珍妮真的很喜欢跟她男友在一起。
起初这好像是个普通的约会。珍妮和她男友犒赏自己,去吃了一顿大餐。然后他们携手走在繁忙的街上,开心地聊着天。珍妮完全不知道一件出乎意料的事即将发生。突然之间,她看到一颗大气球上面写着:『珍妮,嫁给我吧』。
就在那时候,珍妮的男友单脚跪地,拿出一颗钻戒,并且问道:『妳愿意嫁给我吗,珍妮?』珍妮不敢相信她男友在跟她求婚。她的眼睛里充满泪水。她点点头,然后说她愿意。这是她一辈子最浪漫的情人节。
Building Your Vocabulary
romantic a. 浪漫的
My husband is not a romantic person.
我先生一点也不浪漫。
Phrases for Learning
1.treat + 人 + to... 招待某人……
Sam treated me to a movie last night.
昨晚山姆请我去看电影。
2.hand in hand 手牵手
I like to walk hand in hand with my girlfriend.
我喜欢跟我的女友手牵手走路。
3.not have a clue 一无所知
I didn't have a clue that my toe was bleeding.
我完全不知道我的脚趾头流血了。
4.all of a sudden 突然地;出乎意料地
All of a sudden, the balloon popped.
汽球突然间破掉了。
5.kneel down 跪下
Andy knelt down to get a closer look.
安迪跪了下来,好看得更清楚。
Tips In Use
...a giant balloon that said, "Marry Me, Jenny."
(……一颗大气球上面写着:『珍妮,嫁给我吧』。)
本句中的 said 跟用嘴巴来说无关,而是表『(用文字、数字、图画等)表示,说明』,此时不用被动语态。
The clock on the wall said it was five.
(墙上的钟指的是五点。)
It said in the newspaper that a fire broke out at a furniture factory.
(报上写说有一间家具工厂失火了。)
The sign says, "No smoking."
(标示上写着:『请勿吸烟』。)