奥巴马总统每周电台演讲:出访墨西哥和哥斯达黎加途中演讲
时间:2019-02-16 作者:英语课 分类:奥巴马每周电视讲话
Hi, everybody.
嗨,大家好!
Today, I'm speaking to you from the road—a trip to Mexico and Costa Rica.
今天,我在出访墨西哥和哥斯达黎加的旅途中跟你们演讲。
I'm here because Latin America represents an incredible opportunity for the United States, especially when it comes to my top priority as President:
我身处这个地方是因为拉丁美洲对美国而言意味着无限的机遇,尤其是当下我作为总统最高要务。
creating good, middle-class jobs.
需要创造高薪的、中产阶级就业岗位的这一时刻。
On Friday, we learned that our businesses created another 176,000 jobs last month.
在周五,我们获悉我们的企业上个月又创造了17.6万个工作岗位。
That's 2.2 million new jobs over the past year, and 6.8 million new jobs over the past 38 months.
而自去年以来已经新增220万个就业岗位,过去38个月来这一数字已经达到680万。
But as I've said before,
但就如我之前所说过的,
I won't be satisfied until everyone who wants a job can find one.
每个希望找工作的人都找到一份工作,我才会满意。
So I'm going to keep doing everything I can and going everywhere I need to go to help our businesses create jobs.
因此我将继续竭尽全力,去每一个自己需要去的地方帮助我们的企业创造就业。
Now, one of the best ways to grow our economy is to sell more goods and services Made in America to the rest of the world.
现在,促进经济增长最好的方式就是将美国制造的产品和服务更多的销往世界各地。
That includes our neighbors to the south.
也包括南边我们的众多友邻。
Right now, over 40 percent of our exports go to the Americas.
现在,我们40%的出口是在美洲。
And those exports are growing faster than our trade with the rest of the world.
而这些的出口增长比我们在世界其他地方的更快。
That's why I visited Latin America this week,
这就是本周我来到拉美地区的原因,
to work with leaders to deepen our economic ties and expand trade between our nations.
与各领导人深入交流,加深彼此的经济联系,扩大双边贸易。
In Mexico, I also talked about immigration reform, because that's an important issue that affects both our countries.
我在墨西哥还谈到了移民改革,因为这是影响到两个国家的重要议题。
The truth is, right now, our border with Mexico is more secure than it's been in years.
实事是现在我们与墨西哥的边境比以往更加安全。
We've put more boots on that border than at any time in our history, and illegal crossings are down by nearly 80 percent from their peak in 2000.
在这一区域我们投入了比任何历史时期都多的兵力,非法入境的人员自2000年的最高峰降低了近80%。
But we've got more to do—not just to secure the border but to fix an immigration system that is badly broken.
但我们还需要做更多事情,不仅仅是确保边境安全,还要修正已经破坏殆尽的移民体系。
In recent weeks, we've seen a commonsense 1 immigration reform bill introduced in the Senate.
所以最近几个星期,我们已经看到一份基本移民改革法案被送进参议院。
This bill is a compromise, which means that nobody got everything they wanted—including me.
这份法案是妥协的结果,这意味着任何人不会得到想要的东西,包括我在内。
But it's largely consistent with the principles I've laid out from the beginning.
但该法案也最大程度考虑到了我从一开始就提出的原则。
It would continue to strengthen security at our borders and hold employers more accountable if they knowingly hire undocumented workers.
这一法案将继续加强我们边境的安全,让明知故犯雇佣非法劳工的企业主们承担更多责任。
It would provide a pathway to earned citizenship 2 for the 11 million individuals who are already in this country illegally.
而且该法案还将为1100万通过非法途径来到这个国家的人们提供一种取得公民身份的方法。
And it would modernize 3 our legal immigration system so that we're able to reunite families,
而且还将使合法移民体系更为现代化,让家庭团聚,
and attract the highly-skilled entrepreneurs and engineers who will help create good paying jobs and grow our economy.
吸引高技能企业主及工程师等帮助我们创造更好的工作岗位,促进我们的经济增长。
These are all commonsense steps that the majority of Americans support.
这些都是获得大多数美国民众支持的一些举措。
So there's no reason that immigration reform can't become a reality this year.
因此今年没有理由不让移民改革得到实施。
In the meantime, I'll keep working with our neighbors on our common security and our common prosperity.
同时,我还将加强与邻国的合作,保证共同安全及共同繁荣。
Millions of Americans earn a living right now because of the trade between our nations.
现今数百万美洲人民会因国与国之间的贸易往来获得生机。
And after this week, I'm as confident as ever that we can build on our shared heritage and values to open more markets for American businesses and create more jobs for American workers.
而从这个星期开始,我充满信心将建立起共同的精神传承和价值观,为美洲的企业开放更多的市场,为美洲的人民提供更多的工作岗位。
Thanks and have a great weekend.
谢谢大家,祝你们周末愉快。
- It is commonsense to carry an umbrella in this weather.这种天气带把伞是很自然的。
- These results are no more than a vindication of commonsense analysis.这些结果只不过是按常理分析得出的事实。
- He was born in Sweden,but he doesn't have Swedish citizenship.他在瑞典出生,但没有瑞典公民身分。
- Ten years later,she chose to take Australian citizenship.十年后,她选择了澳大利亚国籍。