时间:2019-02-16 作者:英语课 分类:奥巴马每周电视讲话


英语课

It has now been three months since the tragic 1 events in Newtown, Connecticut.



自康涅狄格州新城的惨剧发生已经过去三个月。



Three months since we lost 20 innocent children and six dedicated 2 adults who had so much left to give.



三个月前,我们失去了20名无辜的孩子和6位热心教育事业未竟的老师。



Three months since we, as Americans, began asking ourselves if we're really doing enough to protect our communities and keep our children safe.



作为美国人我们三个月来一直扪心自问,我们是否为保护社区和孩子们的安全做好了充分的准备。



For the families who lost a loved one on that terrible day, three months doesn't even begin to ease the pain they're feeling right now.



对于在那惨痛的一天失去亲人的家庭而言,三个月的时间无法抚平他们的伤痛。



It doesn't come close to mending the wounds that may never fully 3 heal.



也永远无法治愈这一惨剧给他们造成的永久创伤。



But as a nation, the last three months have changed us.



但作为一个国家,过去的三个月改变了我们。



They've forced us to answer some difficult questions about what we can do—what we must do—to prevent the kinds of massacres 4 we've seen in Newtown and Aurora 5 and Oak Creek 6, as well as the everyday tragedies that happen far too often in big cities and small towns all across America.



这段时间要求我们对一些尖锐的问题做出回答,我们能做什么,我们必须要做什么才能防止类似新城、奥罗拉,橡树溪的惨案以及每天在全国的大中小城市发生的惨剧再次发生。



Today there is still genuine disagreement among well-meaning people about what steps we should take to reduce the epidemic 7 of gun violence in this country.



时至今日,依然有大量好心人对减少枪支暴力的措施持有异议。



But you—the American people—have spoken.



但你们,美国人民已经说出了自己的心声。



You've made it clear that it's time to do something.



你们清晰的表达出是时候行动了。



And over the last few weeks, Senators here in Washington have listened and taken some big steps forward.



过去几个星期里,华盛顿的参议员们也倾听了各方意见,并采取了一些重大措施来推动事情发展。



Two weeks ago, the Senate advanced a bill that would make it harder for criminals and people with a severe mental illness from getting their hands on a gun.



两周前,参议院提出了一项提案,即不能让犯罪分子以及患有严重精神疾病的人轻易得到枪支。



an idea supported by nine out of ten Americans, including a majority of gun owners.



这一想法得到了90%的美国民众的支持,其中还包括大部分持枪人士。



The Senate also made progress on a bill that would crack down on anyone who buys a gun as part of a scheme to funnel 8 it to criminals–reducing violent crime and protecting our law enforcement officers.



同时参议院还在另一项法案上取得进展,打击任何购买枪支企图犯罪的人员,以此来降低暴力犯罪并保护执法者。



Finally, the Senate took steps to reinstate and strengthen a ban on the sale of military-style assault weapons, set a 10-round limit for magazines, and make our schools safer places for kids to learn and grow.



最后,参议院还采取措施恢复并巩固了对军用武器的销售禁令,设定了10发子弹弹夹容量上限,确保孩子们在学校能更安全的学习成长。



These ideas shouldn't be controversial—they're common sense.



以上这些想法不应该有争议,因为很合乎常理。



They're supported by a majority of the American people.



这些想法得到了大多数美国民众的支持。



And I urge the Senate and the House to give each of them a vote.



而我也敦促参议院和众议院就其进行投票表决。



As I've said before, we may not be able to prevent every act of violence in this country.



正如我之前所言,也许我们不能阻止这个国家发生的每一起暴力事件。



But together, we have an obligation to try.



但我们有共同的责任去尝试,



We have an obligation to do what we can.



有责任去做好我们能做的事情。



Right now, we have a real chance to reduce gun violence in America, and prevent the very worst violence.



现在,我们得到了降低枪支暴力和防止恶行暴力事件的绝好时机。



We have a unique opportunity to reaffirm our tradition of responsible gun ownership, and also do more to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or people with a severe mental illness.



我们的机会有稍纵即逝,重申拥有枪支的责任意识这一传统,以及更进一步确保犯罪分子和有严重精神疾病的人不能拥有枪支。



We've made progress over the last three months, but we're not there yet.



过去三个月来我们取得了很多成就,但我们所做的还远远不够。



And in the weeks ahead, I hope Members of Congress will join me in finishing the job—for our communities and, most importantly, for our kids.



而在未来几个星期,我希望国会议员们能与我一起完成这一任务,为了我们的社会,更重要的是为了我们的孩子们。



Thanks.



谢谢大家。



adj.悲剧的,悲剧性的,悲惨的
  • The effect of the pollution on the beaches is absolutely tragic.污染海滩后果可悲。
  • Charles was a man doomed to tragic issues.查理是个注定不得善终的人。
adj.一心一意的;献身的;热诚的
  • He dedicated his life to the cause of education.他献身于教育事业。
  • His whole energies are dedicated to improve the design.他的全部精力都放在改进这项设计上了。
adv.完全地,全部地,彻底地;充分地
  • The doctor asked me to breathe in,then to breathe out fully.医生让我先吸气,然后全部呼出。
  • They soon became fully integrated into the local community.他们很快就完全融入了当地人的圈子。
大屠杀( massacre的名词复数 ); 惨败
  • The time is past for guns and killings and massacres. 动不动就用枪、动不动就杀、大规模屠杀的时代已经过去了。 来自教父部分
  • Numberless recent massacres were still vivid in their recollection. 近来那些不可胜数的屠杀,在他们的头脑中记忆犹新。
n.极光
  • The aurora is one of nature's most awesome spectacles.极光是自然界最可畏的奇观之一。
  • Over the polar regions we should see aurora.在极地高空,我们会看到极光。
n.小溪,小河,小湾
  • He sprang through the creek.他跳过小河。
  • People sunbathe in the nude on the rocks above the creek.人们在露出小溪的岩石上裸体晒日光浴。
n.流行病;盛行;adj.流行性的,流传极广的
  • That kind of epidemic disease has long been stamped out.那种传染病早已绝迹。
  • The authorities tried to localise the epidemic.当局试图把流行病限制在局部范围。
n.漏斗;烟囱;v.汇集
  • He poured the petrol into the car through a funnel.他用一个漏斗把汽油灌入汽车。
  • I like the ship with a yellow funnel.我喜欢那条有黄烟囱的船。