公众人物毕业演讲第325期:推特CEO迪克2013密歇根大学(2)
时间:2019-02-16 作者:英语课 分类:公众人物毕业演讲
英语课
And our first game was at Wisconsin and we went up there and we lost our first game, 21 to 14
我们的第一场球是对威斯康星 结果第一场就输了 21比14
and there was this just crushing disappointment afterwards And I'd like you to think of that, soaring expectations
随之而来的就是压倒性的失望 我想让你们想象一下 先是满心希望
followed by crushing disappointment as a metaphor 1 for your next 20 minutes with me
随之而来的却是极度失望 我接下来20分钟的演讲或许也会让你们如此
When I was sitting where you are so many years ago but what seems to me really like just yesterday
很多年前 我也像你们这样坐在这里 这个记忆对我而言 就像是在昨天
I was earning my degree in Computer Science Yay nerds
我获得了计算机科学的学位 耶 电脑迷们
At the time, the CS Department was in the School of Literature, Science and the Arts so I had to have a certain number of Arts credits to graduate
当时计算机科学系隶属于文学 科学和艺术学院 所以我要毕业 必须获得一些艺术学分
And so my first semester senior year, I decided 2 "Well I'll take an acting 3 class because" --
于是我大四上学期决定 "我要修一门表演课 因为"…
I'm just going to pander 4 to the crowd, that's the kind of person I am I thought, "I'll take an acting class because
我就喜欢迎合观众 我就是这样的人 我想 "我要修一门表演课 因为"
we won't have a lot of homework and I'll go in and we'll say Arthur Miller 5 lines to each other
"这种课不会有很多作业" "每天对几句亚瑟.米勒的台词"
and then I can work on my operating systems programs at night" And I loved the class so much
"晚上就可以回去继续我的操作系统项目了" 结果我很喜爱这门课
that my second semester senior year I took another acting class and in fact I started doing standup comedy
以致于我在大四下学期 又修了一门表演课 我开始学习单口喜剧
which I'd never done before at the Michigan Union at the U-Club So that, by the time I was sitting
这个我之前在密歇根学生会俱乐部中从未表演过 到了我同你们一样
where you guys are today with my CS degree I had offers from three technology companies
坐在这里拿计算机科学学位的时候 我手中握有三家科技公司的录用通知
to go work for them as a programmer but I decided instead that what I would do is move to Chicago
他们要我去做程序员 但我最后决定搬到芝加哥
try to get into the improv comedy group Second City and go on from there to Saturday Night Live and ultimate fame and glory
尝试进入即兴喜剧表演剧组"第二城市" 并朝周六夜现场最终的名誉和辉煌迈进
n.隐喻,暗喻
- Using metaphor,we say that computers have senses and a memory.打个比方,我们可以说计算机有感觉和记忆力。
- In poetry the rose is often a metaphor for love.玫瑰在诗中通常作为爱的象征。
adj.决定了的,坚决的;明显的,明确的
- This gave them a decided advantage over their opponents.这使他们比对手具有明显的优势。
- There is a decided difference between British and Chinese way of greeting.英国人和中国人打招呼的方式有很明显的区别。
n.演戏,行为,假装;adj.代理的,临时的,演出用的
- Ignore her,she's just acting.别理她,她只是假装的。
- During the seventies,her acting career was in eclipse.在七十年代,她的表演生涯黯然失色。
v.迎合;n.拉皮条者,勾引者;帮人做坏事的人
- Don't pander to such people. 要迎合这样的人。
- Those novels pander to people's liking for stories about crime.那些小说迎合读者对犯罪故事的爱好。