公众人物毕业演讲第179期:桑德伯格2012哈佛商学院(4)
时间:2019-01-25 作者:英语课 分类:公众人物毕业演讲
英语课
Google had no business units
Google就没有业务部
so what was there to generally manage?
那要我去总管什么呢?
And the job was several levels lower
何况那职位
than jobs I was being offered at other companies
比我在其他公司得到的offers都要低好几级
So I sat down with Eric Schmidt
后来我和当时刚刚上任的CEO
who had just become the CEO
艾里克·施密特见了面
and I showed him the spreadsheet and I said
我给他看了我的列表 我说
this job meets none of my criteria 1
这份工作完全不合我的选择标准
He put his hand on my spreadsheet and he looked at me and said
他用手按住我的表格 看着我说
Don't be an idiot 2
不要犯傻
Excellent career advice
极佳的职业忠告
And then he said, Get on a rocket ship
然后他说 重要的是坐上火箭
When companies are growing quickly and having a lot of impact
当公司在飞速发展而产生很大影响力时
careers take care of themselves
事业自然也会突飞猛进
And when companies aren't growing quickly
当公司发展较慢时
or their missions don't matter as much
或者公司前景一般时
that's when stagnation 3 and politics come in
停滞和办公室政治就会出现
If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship
如果你得到了坐上火箭的机会
don't ask what seat. Just get on
别管是什么位置 上去就行
About six and one-half years later
大概六年半之后
when I was leaving Google
当我要离开Google的时候
I took that advice to heart
我记住了这句忠告
I was offered CEO jobs at a bunch of companies
当时好几家公司请我去做CEO
but I went to Facebook as COO
但是我去了Facebook做COO(首席运营官)
At the time people said
那时有人问你
why are you going to work for a 23-year-old?
为什么要去给一个23岁的年轻人打工?
The traditional metaphor for careers is a ladder
职业发展通常会被比作爬阶梯
but I no longer think that metaphor holds
但我认为这个比喻不再恰当了
It just doesn't make sense
在越来越扁平的世界里
in a less hierarchical world
这种说法是没有意义的
When I was first at Facebook
我刚到Facebook的时候
a woman named Lori Goler, a 1997 graduate of HBS
97届HBS的校友Lori Goler
was working in marketing at eBay
还在eBay做市场营销
and I knew her kind of socially
我和认识了她 并且知道她善于交际
She called me and she said
她打电话给我说
I want to think about you know talk with you
我想和你谈谈
about coming to work with you at Facebook
到Facebook和你一起工作的事
So I thought about calling you
我想到给你打电话
and telling you all the things I'm good at and all the things I like to do
和你说我有哪些特长以及我想做的事情
But I figured that everyone is doing that
但我知道所有人都会这样说
n.标准
- The main criterion is value for money.主要的标准是钱要用得划算。
- There are strict criteria for inclusion in the competition.参赛的标准很严格。
n.白痴,傻子,笨蛋
- Only an idiot would make such a thoughtless remark.只有草包才会说出这样没有头脑的话来。
- You are behaving like a perfect idiot.你表现得像个十足的白痴。
n. 停滞
- Poor economic policies led to a long period of stagnation and decline. 糟糕的经济政策道致了长时间的经济萧条和下滑。
- Motion is absolute while stagnation is relative. 运动是绝对的,而静止是相对的。