公众人物毕业演讲 第436期:科里布克2013年耶鲁大学(4)
时间:2019-01-25 作者:英语课 分类:公众人物毕业演讲
英语课
That I now lead as mayor I want to do something that has probably never been done before at this university.
而我现在则是这座城市的市长我的讲法 可能在这座学校历史上前无古人
I want to stand here as a Christian 1 in all of my non-Jewish self and give you all a Dvar Torah.
我站在这里 作为一名基督徒 一名非犹太教徒而演讲却是摩西五经宣讲
For those of you who have no idea what Dvar Torah is.
我稍微讲一下免得有人不理解摩西五经宣讲
It actually is to speak on a religious view from the Torah or many of you the Old Testament 2.
它也就是从摩西五经的宗教观点来宣讲摩西五经可以看作是旧约
And if those of you want some clarity for those Jews and Jew-curious people or those of you who are behind Jane seek Christian.
如果你对犹太教 或者好奇犹太教的人感兴趣而自己又是基督教徒 对此不甚了解
We can have a conversation afterwards if you need some help or translation with this but actually I want just to go to the subject of vision.
演讲后可以找我谈谈 我可以跟你讲得更明白一些实际上 我这里是想强调"异象"这一主题
I was taught this in a black church in New Jersey 3 and relearnt it studying Torah here at Yale.
我是在新泽西的黑人教会中学到这一点的之后在耶鲁研读摩西五经后 我又获得了新的认识
There's this wonderful phrase many of you might know Without vision.
有一句话说得很好 你们很多人可能也都知道没有异象
The people will perish and being that I saw no heads nod up-and-down that they knew that verse.
民就灭亡我没有看到有人点头 表示自己认得这句经典
I guess Rick Santorum is right. This is a godless university So I want to speak just very quickly of two stories.
我想里克.桑托勒姆是对的 这是一所无神主义大学我想快速讲两个故事
Two stories about this idea of vision and why I actually do believe without vision, the people will perish.
两个故事都是关于异象的我会谈到为什么我相信 没有异象 民就灭亡
Now I'm going to borrow from two traditions in my family from the African-American aural 4 tradition.
我将借由我的两个家庭传统来讲这个这是非裔美国人的听觉传统
And now you have to understand that my tradition the aural tradition in my family strangely was very bifurcate 5.
我想让你们理解我家的听觉传统 被奇怪地分为两种
There was a tradition that my father and my grandfather upheld and there was one that my mother and my grandmother.
一种传统来自我的父亲和祖父另一种来自我的母亲和祖母
A matriarchal tradition and a patriarchal tradition and I saw that actually in my last graduation right here at Yale university.
一边是母系传统 一边是父系传统我最后在耶鲁毕业的时候 就经历过这些
adj.基督教徒的;n.基督教徒
- They always addressed each other by their Christian name.他们总是以教名互相称呼。
- His mother is a sincere Christian.他母亲是个虔诚的基督教徒。
n.遗嘱;证明
- This is his last will and testament.这是他的遗愿和遗嘱。
- It is a testament to the power of political mythology.这说明,编造政治神话可以产生多大的威力。
n.运动衫
- He wears a cotton jersey when he plays football.他穿运动衫踢足球。
- They were dressed alike in blue jersey and knickers.他们穿着一致,都是蓝色的运动衫和灯笼短裤。
adj.听觉的,听力的
- The opera was an aural as well as a visual delight.这部歌剧对于听觉和视觉都是一种享受。
- You can use these tapes as aural material.你可以把这些磁带当作听力材料。