公众人物毕业演讲第439期:科里布克2013年耶鲁大学(7)
时间:2019-01-25 作者:英语课 分类:公众人物毕业演讲
英语课
Eventually we moved on to beach ball for crying out loud then there was the galactic hail.
最终冰雹达到沙滩球那么大然后还有银河冰雹
And I would try to catch my dad in inconsistencies He would tell me the story about in the mountain of North Carolina he.
我经常在父亲的故事中发现不合理的地方有一次他跟我讲北卡罗来纳山区的故事
Would start a story about the steep hill almost a cliff yet to climb just to get to school.
故事一开始讲陡峭的山峰他几乎要爬上悬崖 才能到达学校
And then he tells me some story, and forget and before I knew, he was going home up another steep cliff and hill.
然后他讲故事时却忘了这点他说他回家需要爬上另外一个陡峭的悬崖
I don't know what kind of geographical 1 anomaly he grew up in and I finally, I know again this is Dvar Torah.
真不知道他生长在怎样的畸形地貌中最后我终于知道 这仍然是摩西五经宣讲
So I can tell you I broke a Ten Commandment but there's one about honoring your mother and father.
可以说 我是打破了十诫有一条是尊重父母
My father started story telling me, son when the tsunami 2 hit our town and I'm like, Dad.
我父亲有个故事开头说 儿子当海啸袭击我们镇时 我说 爸爸
Dad, stop, I'm sorry There's no way you could have had a tsunami in the mountains of North Carolina.
爸爸 等等 对不起北卡罗来纳怎么可能会有海啸发生呢
And my dad crosses his arms against indignity 3, he doesn't retreat who cares if you got your facts wrong, he looks at and he says boy.
我父亲把手抱在胸前 面对我的轻蔑 他毫不退缩似乎不在乎事实上的错误 他看着我 说
I'm telling you the tsunami hit. It was a long time ago before the internet You can't look it up but it happened.
我说有海啸就是有 这是互联网出现之前很久的事了你查不到 但确实发生过
And so 2 stories about vision Sort of the first one I want to tell you.
两个关于异象的故事我想讲的第一个
Is a part of my father and my grandfather's tradition and Stephen Colbert says it has a high level of truthiness.
部分是我父亲和祖父的传统斯蒂芬.科尔伯特说 它有更高层次的真实性
Well, it's not quite true and this story about vision is very simple. I was at a very young age.
这并不很对这个关于异象的故事很简单 当时我很年轻
The youngest elected in my city at that time The youngest elected person I was on the city council in Newark, New Jersey 4.
是当时市里最年轻的民选官员我是新泽西纽瓦克市议会最年轻的议员
And I was also at the same time serving on the board of trustees at Stanford University.
而同时 我又是斯坦福大学董事会成员
And so I had this interesting experience of leaving the board of trustees essentially 5 for a city and flying to California.
这就让我有了这种奇妙经历我需要经常从市议会飞赴加利福尼亚
To serve on the board of trustees of that university and I do it 5 times a year.
为大学董事会服务一年我要飞五次
And one day in a council meeting in a fight and I don't know what kind of cities you guys come from.
有一天市政会议上所有人打作一团我不知道你们来自怎样的城市
adj.地理的;地区(性)的
- The current survey will have a wider geographical spread.当前的调查将在更广泛的地域范围內进行。
- These birds have a wide geographical distribution.这些鸟的地理分布很广。
n.海啸
- Powerful quake sparks tsunami warning in Japan.大地震触发了日本的海啸预警。
- Coastlines all around the Indian Ocean inundated by a huge tsunami.大海啸把印度洋沿岸地区都淹没了。
n.侮辱,伤害尊严,轻蔑
- For more than a year we have suffered the indignity.在一年多的时间里,我们丢尽了丑。
- She was subjected to indignity and humiliation.她受到侮辱和羞辱。
n.运动衫
- He wears a cotton jersey when he plays football.他穿运动衫踢足球。
- They were dressed alike in blue jersey and knickers.他们穿着一致,都是蓝色的运动衫和灯笼短裤。
adv.本质上,实质上,基本上
- Really great men are essentially modest.真正的伟人大都很谦虚。
- She is an essentially selfish person.她本质上是个自私自利的人。