TED演讲:游戏创造美好生活(2)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇
英语课
This is a portrait by a photographer named Phil Toledano. 这是一幅由Phil Toldano拍摄的肖像。
He wanted to capture the emotion of gaming,so he set up a camera in front of gamers while they were playing. 他想捕捉玩游戏时的一些情感变化,因此,他把摄影仪器放在正在玩游戏的游戏玩家面前。
And this is a classic gaming emotion. 这是一幅游戏玩家的经典表情。
Now, if you're not a gamer,you might miss some of the nuance 1 in this photo. 现在,如果你不是一个游戏玩家,你就不会察觉出这幅照片中的真正内涵。
You probably see the sense of urgency,a little bit of fear, but intense concentration,deep, deep focus on tackling a really difficult problem. 你可能会感觉到紧迫、一丝的恐惧,而不是精神的高度集中,抑或者是集中精力在解决一个难题。
If you are a gamer, you will notice a few nuances here: the crinkle of the eyes up, and around the mouth is a sign of optimism, 如果你是一位游戏玩家,你就会感觉到一些不同东西,眼角周围的褶皱是向上的,包括嘴角周围的褶皱也是一样的,这是一个非常乐观的迹象,
and the eyebrows 2 up is surprise. 并且,眉毛向上翘起是惊讶的标志。
This is a gamer who is on the verge 3 of something called an epic 4 win. 这说明,这个游戏玩家即将在游戏中获得史诗般胜利。
Oh, you've heard of that. OK, good,so we have some gamers among us. 你们曾经听说过这个词,不错,也就是说你们当中有些是游戏玩家。
An epic win is an outcome that is so extraordinarily 5 positive you had no idea it was even possible until you achieved it. 这个史诗般的胜利是一个结果,但是它非常令人振奋,在得到这个胜利之前你甚至不曾想到竟然能取得成功。
It was almost beyond the threshold of imagination. 这个成功甚至超出了你的想象。
And when you get there you are shocked to discover what you are truly capable of. That is an epic win. 当你一旦达到并完成,你就会被自己的技能所震撼,这就是所谓的“史诗般的胜利”。
This is a gamer on the verge of an epic win. 而这个玩家即将取得这样的胜利。
And this is the face that we need to see on millions of problem-solvers all over the world as we try to tackle the obstacles of the next century,the face of someone who, against all odds 6 is on the verge of an epic win. 同时,这也是在下个世纪,我们所期望的在处理全球众多问题,排除各种障碍时露出的表情,能排除万难的人是无往不胜的。
Now, unfortunately this is more of the face that we see in everyday life now as we try to tackle urgent problems. 现在,不幸的是,当我们处理日常生活中各种紧急事件的时候,我们往往看到的是这个表情。
This is what I call the I'm Not Good At Life face,and this is actually me making it. Can you see? Yes. Good. 通常我称这个为“不擅长生活”表情,事实上是我自己做出的这个,能否从中看出来呢?好的。
This is actually me making the I'm Not Good At Life face. 这就是我做出的“不擅长生活”表情。
This is a piece of graffiti in my old neighborhood in Berkeley, California, where I did my PhD on why we're better in games than we are in real life. 这也是我在加州的伯克利的一个老社区进修我的博士学位时的一个涂鸦,而我读博士研究的课题就是“为什么我们觉得虚拟游戏世界比现实世界更好”。
n.(意义、意见、颜色)细微差别
- These users will easily learn each nuance of the applications they use.这些用户会很快了解他们所使用程序的每一细微差别。
- I wish I hadn't become so conscious of every little nuance.我希望我不要变得这样去思索一切琐碎之事。
眉毛( eyebrow的名词复数 )
- Eyebrows stop sweat from coming down into the eyes. 眉毛挡住汗水使其不能流进眼睛。
- His eyebrows project noticeably. 他的眉毛特别突出。
n.边,边缘;v.接近,濒临
- The country's economy is on the verge of collapse.国家的经济已到了崩溃的边缘。
- She was on the verge of bursting into tears.她快要哭出来了。
n.史诗,叙事诗;adj.史诗般的,壮丽的
- I gave up my epic and wrote this little tale instead.我放弃了写叙事诗,而写了这个小故事。
- They held a banquet of epic proportions.他们举行了盛大的宴会。
adv.格外地;极端地
- She is an extraordinarily beautiful girl.她是个美丽非凡的姑娘。
- The sea was extraordinarily calm that morning.那天清晨,大海出奇地宁静。
标签:
TED演讲