奥巴马每周电视讲话:总统呼吁给予工薪家庭带薪病假的福利(02)
时间:2018-12-30 作者:英语课 分类:奥巴马每周电视讲话
So if you get sick, that sticks you with a lousy choice.
所以,如果你病了,这让你被迫进行艰难的选择。
Do you go to work and get everyone else sick, too?
你是去工作或者让每一个其他的人也生病?
Or do you take care of yourself at the risk of a paycheck?
或者你注意了自己的健康,而让薪水泡汤了。
If your kid gets sick, do you send her to school anyway?
如果你的孩子病了,无论如何,你会把她送到学校去吗?
Or do you stay home to take care of her, lose a day's pay, and maybe even put your own job at risk?
或者你会留在家里照顾她,而丧失一天的薪水,甚至可能有丧失自己工作的风险。
We shouldn't have to make choices like that in America.
在美国,我们本不必做出这样的选择。
That's why I've repeatedly 1 called on the Republican 2 Congress 3 to pass a law
也因此,我已经再三呼吁共和党人的国会通过法案,
guaranteeing most workers in America the chance to earn seven days of paid sick leave each year.
确保美国大多数的人们有机会每年都有七天带薪病假。
Of course, Congress hasn't acted.
当然,国会并没有行动。
But we've also worked with states, cities, and businesses to try to get the job done
但我们也必须和各州,各城市和众多的商家来完成这一工作
and many have, pointing to research showing that paid leave actually helps their bottom line.
很多已经这么做了,他们指出,研究表明,带薪病假实际上可以符合他们的底线。
In fact, since I took office, another ten million private sector 4 workers have gained paid sick leave – making up a record share of our workforce 5.
事实上,自我就职以来,又有近千万私营部门员工获得了带薪休假的福利--创造了我们劳动力市场的记录。
Unfortunately, there are still about 40 million private sector workers who don't get a single day.
不幸的是,仍然有4000万私营部门员工一天也得不到这样的福利。
That's why I'm doing what I can on my own.
也因此我在做我自己能做的事情。
- The loudspeakers blared the speech repeatedly.扬声器里反复大声地播送那篇演讲。
- He repeatedly beat his foot upon the floor.他反复用脚敲着地板。
- Some families have been republican for generations.有些家庭世代都支持共和党。
- A third candidate has entered the contest for the Republican nomination.第三个候选人已经加入角逐共和党提名的行列。
- There were some days to wait before the Congress.大会的召开还有几天时间。
- After 18 years in Congress,he intented to return to private life.在国会供职18年后,他打算告老还乡。
- The export sector will aid the economic recovery. 出口产业将促进经济复苏。
- The enemy have attacked the British sector.敌人已进攻英国防区。