公众人物毕业演讲第26期:比尔盖茨夫妇于斯坦福大学(7)
时间:2018-12-30 作者:英语课 分类:公众人物毕业演讲
英语课
So they rigged up an extension cord that ran 200 feet
人们只能临时拉了一根200英尺长的延长线
from the center to the diesel 1 generator 2 outside.
让社区中心能够接上外面的柴油发电机
Looking at this setup, I knew the minute the reporters left,
看到这种情形 我知道一旦记者离开
the generator would get to a more urgent task.
发电机就会被用到更紧急的任务
And the people at the community center would go back to worry about challenges
而社区中心的人们也需要重新去面对
that couldn't be solved by a personal computer.
那些不是个人计算机就能解决的问题
When I gave my prepared remarks to the press, I said Soweto is a milestone 3.
我按照事先准备的讲稿 对媒体说索韦托是一个里程碑
There's major decisions ahead about whether technology
在未来 为了不让发展中国家在技术上落后
will leave the developing world behind.
显然还有很多重大决定要做
This is to close the gap.
我们将像这样 努力缩小技术上的鸿沟
But as I read those words, I knew they weren't super relevant.
但在我阅读这份讲稿时 我深知情况远远没有这么简单
What I didn't say was, by the way,
讲稿上有一段我没有读 也就是
we're not focused on the fact that half a million people on this continent are
我们还没开始关注这块大陆上 每年有大约
dying every year from malaria 4.
五十万人死于疟疾这一事实
But we are sure as hell going to bring you computers.
但我们至少能够给大家带来计算机
Before I went to Soweto, I thought I understood the world's problems
在我去索韦托之前 我以为我了解世界的问题
but I was blind to many of the most important ones.
事实上 我对很多重要问题都一无所知
n.柴油发动机,内燃机
- We experimented with diesel engines to drive the pumps.我们试着用柴油机来带动水泵。
- My tractor operates on diesel oil.我的那台拖拉机用柴油开动。
n.发电机,发生器
- All the while the giant generator poured out its power.巨大的发电机一刻不停地发出电力。
- This is an alternating current generator.这是一台交流发电机。
n.里程碑;划时代的事件
- The film proved to be a milestone in the history of cinema.事实证明这部影片是电影史上的一个里程碑。
- I think this is a very important milestone in the relations between our two countries.我认为这是我们两国关系中一个十分重要的里程碑。
标签:
演讲