时间:2018-12-30 作者:英语课 分类:公众人物毕业演讲


英语课

   But there is also false hopelessness.


  但错误的绝望同样存在
  That's the attitude that says we can't defeat poverty and disease.
  这种态度总在告诉我们 我们无法打败贫穷和疾病
  We absolutely can.
  实际上 我们肯定能打败
  Bill called me that day after he visited the TB hospital
  那天造访结核医院后 比尔打电话给我
  and normally if one of us is on an international trip,
  如果我们俩有人要到国外出差
  we will go through our agenda 1 for the day and who we met and where we have been.
  一般情况下 我们都会对去哪以及见谁有一个计划
  But this call was different.
  但这通电话很特别
  Bill said to me, Melinda, I have been somewhere that I have never been before.
  比尔跟我说 梅琳达 我去了一个从没去过的地方
  And then he choked up and he couldn't go on.
  然后他有些哽咽 有些说不出话来
  And he finally just said, I will tell you more when I get home.
  最后他说 等我回来以后再跟你细讲
  And I knew what he was going through
  我能了解他正经受着什么
  because when you see people with so little hope,
  当你看到有人如此缺乏希望时
  it breaks your heart.
  你会感到心碎
  But if you want to do the most, you have to go see the worst,
  但要想做得最多 你必须看到最糟的真相
  and I've had days like that too.
  我也有过这样的经历
  About ten years ago, I traveled with a group of friends to India.
  大约十年前 我和一帮朋友去了印度
  On last day I was there, I had a meeting with a group of prostitutes
  待在那里的最后一天 我见了一群妓女
  and I expected to talk to them about the risk of AIDS that they were facing,
  跟她们讨论她们所面临的艾滋病威胁
  but what they wanted to talk to me about was stigma 2.
  但她们想跟我讲的 却是污名

n.议事日程,记事册
  • We now proceed to the next item on the agenda.我们现在着手讨论下一项议题。
  • If there is no objection,the agenda is adopted.如果没有意见,议程就通过了。
n.耻辱,污名;(花的)柱头
  • Being an unmarried mother used to carry a social stigma.做未婚母亲在社会上曾是不光彩的事。
  • The stigma of losing weighed heavily on the team.失败的耻辱让整个队伍压力沉重。
标签: 演讲