TED演讲:女人的愤怒蕴藏着一生的智慧(2)
时间:2018-12-19 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇
英语课
So later, I was left pondering this fury, and looking for an explanation as to why, even in her telling of it, 和朋友分开后,我一直在思索这种怒火,想弄明白为什么在她讲述的过程中,
I felt fury, too, and why this was a word and a feeling that I was hearing a lot about lately. 我也感到恼怒,为什么最近总是听说这个词和这种感受。
I feel like this is the point in the room where all the men are getting a little bit uncomfortable. 我觉得现在这个会场里,男性们开始变得有点不安了。
It's OK. Stay with me. This fury is something that I have been chomping 1 on since the last US presidential election. 没事的。听我说。上一届美国总统大选以来,我一直思来想去的就是这种怒火。
And it seems that many women have. This fury was not my friend's alone. 好像很多女性都有这种感觉。恼怒的不只是我朋友一个。
Her fury was ignited by lifetimes of men helping 2 themselves to women's bodies without consent. 点燃她怒火的,是长久以来男性总是未经允许就对女性的身体动手动脚。
There's a culture of men helping themselves to women, and in this case, in a seemingly innocuous way, 这种侵犯成了一种文化,而在这个例子中,从以一种看似无害的方式,
where a woman's body is like a saltshaker: "Get out of the way so I can get to the fries" 好像女性的身体就像盐瓶一样,“让一让,我要拿那盘薯条”
to the most egregious 3, violent and horrific situations. 走向极其过分的、暴力的甚至毛骨悚然的境地。
I imagine that some of you are wondering what the connection is between the innocuous and the horrific, 我想你们中的一些人可能在想,无害和毛骨悚然之间有什么联系,
two things that seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum 4. 这二者看似分居情感空间的两端。
Well, the common thread is the spectrum. The innocuous makes space for the horrific. 而二者之间的线索正是情感空间。无害为毛骨悚然腾出了空间。
And women have to live with the effects of both and everything in between. 女性不得不受二者影响,在二者之间生存。
1 chomping
v.切齿,格格地咬牙,咬响牙齿( chomp的现在分词 )
- Elizabeth and Lawrence are chomping at the bit to go on vacation. 伊莉莎白和劳伦斯迫不及待要去度假了。 来自互联网
- She was chomping away on a bagel. 她在嘎蹦嘎嘣地啃着一个硬面包圈。 来自互联网
2 helping
n.食物的一份&adj.帮助人的,辅助的
- The poor children regularly pony up for a second helping of my hamburger. 那些可怜的孩子们总是要求我把我的汉堡包再给他们一份。
- By doing this, they may at times be helping to restore competition. 这样一来, 他在某些时候,有助于竞争的加强。
标签:
TED演讲