TED演讲:女人的愤怒蕴藏着一生的智慧(4)
时间:2018-12-19 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇
英语课
When women get manhandled, we start to rationalize, try to figure out the ways that it was... 当女性受到粗暴对待时,我们开始试图将该行为合理化,试着弄清其中的原因...
"It was probably our fault. You know what? He probably said something, and I didn't hear him. “可能是我的错。你知道吗,可能他说了什么,是我自己没听见。
I'm just overreacting. I'm totally overreacting." 我有点小题大作了。是我太小题大作了。”
No. No. No. No, no, no, no, no. 不。没有。不是这样的。这样想就大错特错了。
Women have been trained to think that we are overreacting or that we're being too sensitive or unreasonable 1. 一直以来,女性都被要求去反省自己小题大作,反省自己的敏感和无理。
We try to make sense of nonsense, and we swallow the furious feelings. 我们试着去理解这些无理的事情,然后我们咽下恼火的情绪。
We try to put them into some hidden place in our minds, but they don't go away. 试着把怒火放到脑海中隐蔽的地方,但是怒火并没有消失。
That fury sits deep inside as we practice our smiles -- "Yes, of course" -- and try to be pleasant. 当我们练习微笑的时候,怒火依然在脑海深处--“是的,当然”--努力让自己笑脸迎人。
"I know --" "Yes, yes, of course," because apparently 2, women aren't supposed to get angry. “我知道--” “是,是,当然了,”因为很明显,大家都认为女性不应该生气。
That fury that my friend felt holds centuries of never being able to directly address 我朋友感受的那种恼火承载了数个世纪以来,未能直接说出
or express our indignation, our frustration 3 and our rage. 或抒发出来的愤慨、挫败和愤怒。
When someone thinks they can help themselves to our bodies, 当有人认为他们可以替我们的身体做主时,
it not only ignites the current fury, but it lights up the past. 不仅点燃了现下的怒火,更点燃了过去。
What seems like a benign 4 moment at the post office is actually an anger grenade. 在邮局看似无害的一幕,其实是一枚愤怒的手榴弹。
Well, kaboom! Today, the global collection of women's experiences can no longer be ignored. 然后,轰!今天全球女性的经历,已不能再被忽视了。
Time's up on thinking that we're overreacting or "This is just the way it is." 别再怪自己小题大作了,或者觉得“本来就是这样的吧。”
Time's up on women being held responsible for men's bad behavior. 现在不再是女性为男性的错误行为负责的时候了。
It is men's responsibility to change men's bad behavior. 男性应该负责改变自己的不当行为。
1 unreasonable
adj.不讲道理的,不合情理的,过度的
- I know that they made the most unreasonable demands on you.我知道他们对你提出了最不合理的要求。
- They spend an unreasonable amount of money on clothes.他们花在衣服上的钱太多了。
2 apparently
adv.显然地;表面上,似乎
- An apparently blind alley leads suddenly into an open space.山穷水尽,豁然开朗。
- He was apparently much surprised at the news.他对那个消息显然感到十分惊异。
3 frustration
n.挫折,失败,失效,落空
- He had to fight back tears of frustration.他不得不强忍住失意的泪水。
- He beat his hands on the steering wheel in frustration.他沮丧地用手打了几下方向盘。
标签:
TED演讲