TED演讲:请相信你可以进步(1)
时间:2018-12-08 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇
英语课
The power of yet. 专注过程,而不是结果。
I heard about a high school in Chicago where students had to pass a certain number of courses to graduate, 我听说,在芝加哥有一所高中,那儿的学生毕业前要通过一系列课程,
and if they didn't pass a course, they got the grade Not Yet. 如果某一门课没有通过, 成绩就是暂未通过。
And I thought that was fantastic, 我想,这真是个绝妙的做法,
because if you get a failing grade, you think, I'm nothing, I'm nowhere. 因为,如果你某门课的成绩不及格, 你会想,我什么都不是,我什么都没有学到。
But if you get the grade Not Yet you understand that you're on a learning curve. 但如果你的成绩是暂未通过,你会明白,学习的步伐并没有停下,
It gives you a path into the future. 你还需逐步向前,争取未来。
Not Yet also gave me insight into a critical event early in my career, 暂未通过也让我联想起一件尤为重要的 发生在我职业生涯初期的事情,
a real turning point. 这件事对我而言是一个转折点。
I wanted to see how children coped with challenge and difficulty, 当时,我想探究孩子是如何应对挑战和困难的,
so I gave 10-year-olds problems that were slightly too hard for them. 因此,我让一些10岁大的孩子尝试解决一些对于他们而言 稍稍偏难的问题。
Some of them reacted in a shockingly positive way. 一些孩子积极应对的方式让我感到震惊。
They said things like, I love a challenge, 他们会这样说,我喜欢挑战,
or, You know, I was hoping this would be informative 1. 或说,你知道的,我希望能有所获。
They understood that their abilities could be developed. 这些孩子明白,他们的能力是可以提升的。
They had what I call a growth mindset. 他们有我所说的成长型思维模式。
But other students felt it was tragic 2, catastrophic. 但另一些孩子觉得面对这些难题是不幸,宛如面对一场灾难。
From their more fixed 3 mindset perspective, 从他们的固定型思维角度来看,
their intelligence had been up for judgment 4 and they failed. 他们的才智受到了评判, 而他们失败了。
Instead of luxuriating in the power of yet, 他们不懂得享受学习的过程,
they were gripped in the tyranny of now. 而只盯住眼前的成与败,
So what do they do next? 这些孩子们后面表现如何?
1 informative
adj.提供资料的,增进知识的
- The adverts are not very informative.这些广告并没有包含太多有用信息。
- This intriguing book is both thoughtful and informative.这本引人入胜的书既有思想性又富知识性。
2 tragic
adj.悲剧的,悲剧性的,悲惨的
- The effect of the pollution on the beaches is absolutely tragic.污染海滩后果可悲。
- Charles was a man doomed to tragic issues.查理是个注定不得善终的人。
标签:
TED演讲