英语美文:The Beggar and the Miser
英语课
One day, an old beggar went to the village. He knocked at the door of a rich man to beg for food.
一天,一个老乞丐来到一个熟悉的村子里。他敲上了一个富人家的门,想跟他讨点儿东西吃。
This was a big house and at the side was built a granary with a big padlock.
这是一座又高又大的房子,旁边有一个很大的谷仓,门上挂着一把大铁锁。
The owner of the house was a miser 1 and he was known for never helping 2 anyone.
这户人家的主人是个吝啬鬼,他从来不肯帮助别人。他的吝啬在方圆几百里内是出了名的。
The beggar was aware of his reputation but still pleaded, "Will you give me a bit of butter or milk?"
乞丐也知道他这种吝啬的狼藉名声,但还是乞求他:“您能不能给我一点黄油或牛奶?”
The miser said impatiently, "No! Go away at once!"
吝啬鬼不耐烦地说:“不行!快给我滚开!”
" Perhaps you can sweep out for me a bit of grain or beans," the hungry beggar continued.
“或许,您还能扫出一把麦子或黄豆呢?” 饥饿的乞丐又说道 。
"There isn't anything in my house!"
“我家里什么也没有!”
"How about a little bit of bread?" the beggar insisted. "Only a mouthful of food and I will be very grateful."
“那就请您给我一小块面包吧,”乞丐坚持道,“哪怕是给我一口饭吃,我都会对您感激不尽的。”
"Go away! I don't have bread!"
“滚开!我没有面包!”
"How about some water? I am thirsty."
“那给我一口水喝,行吗,我太渴了!”
"I don't have water."
“我没有水!”
The beggar then said sadly to him, "My friend, why are you here? You should go to some kind-hearted folk to beg for food because you are poorer than anybody else."
然后,乞丐悲哀地对这个吝啬鬼说:“我的朋友,那你还呆在这里干什么?你应该去找一些善良的人们讨些饭吃吧,因为你比谁都要穷!”。”
乞丐和吝啬鬼The Beggar and the Miser寓意:
小故事的寓意很多,从每个人的角度看有不同的寓意。欢迎大家自己发挥留下你的观点,寓教自己,启迪他人。
The miser in this story is really wealthy in a material sense, but he is extremely poor in a moral sense. Rich people without compassion 3 and conscience are not welcome in the society. They are likely to maintain temporary wealth but not everlasting 4 wealth. So at the same time we feed our stomach, don't forget to feed our soul.
故事中的吝啬鬼在物质方面确实是富有的,但在精神方面却是穷得可怜。没有同情心和良知的富人在社会中是不会受到欢迎的。或许他们会赢得一时的财富,但这种财富最终昙花一现,不会长久。所以,在填饱肚子的同时,一定别忘了丰实我们的心灵。
n.守财奴,吝啬鬼 (adj.miserly)
- The miser doesn't like to part with his money.守财奴舍不得花他的钱。
- The demon of greed ruined the miser's happiness.贪得无厌的恶习毁掉了那个守财奴的幸福。
n.食物的一份&adj.帮助人的,辅助的
- The poor children regularly pony up for a second helping of my hamburger. 那些可怜的孩子们总是要求我把我的汉堡包再给他们一份。
- By doing this, they may at times be helping to restore competition. 这样一来, 他在某些时候,有助于竞争的加强。
n.同情,怜悯
- He could not help having compassion for the poor creature.他情不自禁地怜悯起那个可怜的人来。
- Her heart was filled with compassion for the motherless children.她对于没有母亲的孩子们充满了怜悯心。
adj.永恒的,持久的,无止境的
- These tyres are advertised as being everlasting.广告上说轮胎持久耐用。
- He believes in everlasting life after death.他相信死后有不朽的生命。
标签:
英语美文