美国学生人类历史 第104期:拿撒勒的约书亚(2)
时间:2019-02-21 作者:英语课 分类:美国学生人类历史
英语课
His personality made a great impression upon me and I was sorry to hear that he was killed on the Ostian Road a few days ago.
可无论如何,他的高尚为人与优雅个性给我留下了极深的印象。听到几天前他在奥斯提亚大道上被人杀害的消息,我觉得非常伤心。
Therefore I am writing this letter to you.
所以我写这封信给你。
When next you visit Jerusalem, I want you to find out something about my friend Paul and the strange Jewish prophet, who seems to have been his teacher.
当你下次路过耶路撒冷的时候,我希望你能帮忙了解一些我的朋友保罗的故事,还有他宣讲的那位似乎是他导师的新奇的犹太先知。
Our slaves are getting much excited about this so-called Messiah, and a few of them, who openly talked of the new kingdom (whatever that means) have been crucified.
我们的奴隶们听说了这位所谓的弥赛亚(救世主),一个个都显得异常激动。其中有几人还因为公开谈论这一"新的国度"(不管它是什么意思),被钉上十字架处死。
I would like to know the truth about all these rumours 1 and I am
我很希望搞清这些传言的真相。
Your devoted 2 Uncle, Asculapius Cultellus
你忠实的舅舅 埃斯库拉庇俄司·卡尔蒂拉斯
Six weeks later, Gladius Ensa, the nephew, a captain of the VII Gallic Infantry 3, answered as follows:
六星期后,外甥格拉丢斯·恩萨,高卢第七步兵团上尉给舅舅口信,全文如下:
My dear Uncle, I received your letter and I have obeyed your instructions.
亲爱的舅舅:收到你的来信,我已照你的吩咐去了解了情况。
Two weeks ago our brigade was sent to Jerusalem.
两星期前,我所在的部队被派往耶路撒冷。
There have been several revolutions during the last century and there is not much left of the old city.
由于这座城市在上世纪经历了数次革命,战火殃及,老城区的建筑已所剩无几。
We have been here now for a month and tomorrow we shall continue our march to Petra,
我们来此已近一个月,明天即将转赴佩德拉地区。
where there has been trouble with some of the Arab tribes.
据说那里有一些阿拉伯部落在活动,不时劫掠村庄。
I shall use this evening to answer your questions, but pray do not expect a detailed 4 report.
今天一晚正好用来给你复信,回答你的问题。但千万别祈望我能给出详细的报告。
I have talked with most of the older men in this city but few have been able to give me any definite information.
我和这座城市的大部分老人都交谈过,可很少有人能告诉我确切的信息。
A few days ago a pedler came to the camp.
几天前,一个商贩来到军营附近。
I bought some of his olives and I asked him whether he had ever heard of the famous Messiah who was killed when he was young.
我买了他一些橄榄,顺便跟他闲聊起来。我问他是否知道那位著名的弥赛亚,就是很年轻的时候便被杀死的那位。
n.传闻( rumour的名词复数 );风闻;谣言;谣传
- The rumours were completely baseless. 那些谣传毫无根据。
- Rumours of job losses were later confirmed. 裁员的传言后来得到了证实。
adj.忠诚的,忠实的,热心的,献身于...的
- He devoted his life to the educational cause of the motherland.他为祖国的教育事业贡献了一生。
- We devoted a lengthy and full discussion to this topic.我们对这个题目进行了长时间的充分讨论。
n.[总称]步兵(部队)
- The infantry were equipped with flame throwers.步兵都装备有喷火器。
- We have less infantry than the enemy.我们的步兵比敌人少。
标签:
人类历史