TED演讲:人生交叉点(2)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇
英语课
I've lived the entirety of my life in the in-between, 我一直生活在向交地带,
in the liminal space between dreams and reality, race and gender 1, poverty and plenty, science and society. 徜徉于梦想和现实,种族和性别,贫穷与富足,科学和人文之间。
I am both black and a woman. Like the birth of stars in the heavenlies, 我是黑人,又是女性。就如同星辰的诞生一般,
this robust 2 combination of knowing results in a shining example of the explosive fusion 3 of identities. (我的身份)是一种宿命的强烈结合,是多种身份的融合爆发。
I am also an astrophysicist. I study blazars, supermassive, hyperactive black holes that sit at the centers of massive galaxies 4 我还是一名天体物理学家。我研究耀变体,超大质量活跃黑洞,它们位于巨大星系的中心,
and shoot out jets nearby those black holes at speeds approaching the speed of light in a process we are still trying to completely understand. 从这些黑洞附近射出喷射流,速度接近光速,我们仍在研究这一过程,尚未完全搞懂。
I have dreamed of becoming an astrophysicist since I was 12 years old. 成为天体物理学家一直是我的梦想,从我12岁那年就开始了。
I had no idea that at that time, according to Dr. Jamie Alexander's archive of African-American women in physics, 当年的我,还完全不知道,根据杰米·亚历山大博士针对从事物理工作的非裔美籍女性的研究,
only 18 black women in the United States had ever earned a PhD in a physics-related discipline, 在美国,只有18名黑人女性在物理学相关学科获得了博士学位,
and that the first black woman to graduate with a PhD in an astronomy-related field did so just one year before my birth. 而第一位获得天文学相关领域博士学位的黑人女性,是在我出生前一年才毕业的。
As I journeyed along my path, I encountered the best and worst of life at an intersection 5: 在我的人生道路上,我经历了生命的美好与残酷:
the tremendous opportunity to self-define, the collision of expectation and experience, 既遇到了定义自我的绝好机会,也经历了理想和现实的碰撞,
the exhilaration of victorious 6 breakthroughs and, sometimes, the explosive pain of regeneration. 既体验过取得成功的喜悦,时不时的,还要品尝重头再来的苦果。
n.(生理上的)性,(名词、代词等的)性
- French differs from English in having gender for all nouns.法语不同于英语,所有的名词都有性。
- Women are sometimes denied opportunities solely because of their gender.妇女有时仅仅因为性别而无法获得种种机会。
adj.强壮的,强健的,粗野的,需要体力的,浓的
- She is too tall and robust.她个子太高,身体太壮。
- China wants to keep growth robust to reduce poverty and avoid job losses,AP commented.美联社评论道,中国希望保持经济强势增长,以减少贫困和失业状况。
n.溶化;熔解;熔化状态,熔和;熔接
- Brass is formed by the fusion of copper and zinc. 黄铜是通过铜和锌的熔合而成的。
- This alloy is formed by the fusion of two types of metal.这种合金是用两种金属熔合而成的。
星系( galaxy的名词复数 ); 银河系; 一群(杰出或著名的人物)
- Quasars are the highly energetic cores of distant galaxies. 类星体是遥远星系的极为活跃的核心体。
- We still don't know how many galaxies there are in the universe. 我们还不知道宇宙中有多少个星系。
n.交集,十字路口,交叉点;[计算机] 交集
- There is a stop sign at an intersection.在交叉路口处有停车标志。
- Bridges are used to avoid the intersection of a railway and a highway.桥用来避免铁路和公路直接交叉。
adj.胜利的,得胜的
- We are certain to be victorious.我们定会胜利。
- The victorious army returned in triumph.获胜的部队凯旋而归。
标签:
TED演讲