TED演讲:多元化的自己究竟有多大力量(2)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇
英语课
I was born in Korea -- the land of kimchi; raised in Argentina, 我在泡菜之国--韩国出生;在阿根廷长大,
where I ate so much steak that I'm probably 80 percent cow by now; 可能因为吃太多牛排,我觉得现在我80%的成分是牛;
and I was educated in the US, where I became addicted 1 to peanut butter. 然后我在美国接受教育,在这儿又对花生酱爱得无法自拔。
During my childhood, I felt very much Argentinian, but my looks betrayed me at times. 小时候,我觉得自己是个地道的阿根廷人,但我的外表时不时会背叛我。
I remember on the first day of middle school, my Spanish literature teacher came into the room. 我还记得上中学的第一天,我的西班牙文学老师走进教室。
She scanned all of my classmates, and she said, "You -- you have to get a tutor, otherwise, you won't pass this class." 她扫了一眼全班同学,说到,“你,你要请一个家教,否则,你肯定过不了这门课。”
But by then I was fluent in Spanish already, so it felt as though I could be either Korean or Argentinian, but not both. 但当时我的西班牙语已经非常流利了,当时给我的感觉就是,我要么是韩国人,要么是阿根廷人,但不可能两者都是。
It felt like a zero-sum game, where I had to give up my old identity to be able to gain or earn a new one. 这种感觉就像是非此即彼的博弈,我必须放弃自己的旧身份,才能获得新身份。
So when I was 18, I decided 2 to go to Korea, hoping that finally I could find a place to call home. 18岁那年,我决定去韩国,希望找到一个能称之为家的地方。
But there people asked me, "Why do you speak Korean with a Spanish accent?" 但有人问我,“为什么你说韩语有西班牙口音?”
And, "You must be Japanese because of your big eyes and your foreign body language." “你肯定是日本人,因为你眼睛很大,肢体动作也像外国人。”
And so it turns out that I was too Korean to be Argentinian, but too Argentinian to be Korean. 原来,作为阿根廷人,我太韩国范儿,作为韩国人,我又太阿根廷范儿。
And this was a pivotal realization 3 to me. I had failed to find that place in the world to call home. 对我来说这是一个非常关键的认识。我找不到一个可以称作老家的地方。
But how many Japanese-looking Koreans who speak with a Spanish accent 但是看起来像日本人的韩国人,讲话又带着西班牙口音,
or even more specific, Argentinian accent -- do you think are out there? Perhaps this could be an advantage. 或者更确切地说,带着阿根廷口音,这样的人你们觉得有多少呢?也许这是一个优势。
It was easy for me to stand out, which couldn't hurt in a world that was rapidly changing, 我更容易在人群中凸显出来,在这个变化迅速的世界,
where skills could become obsolete 4 overnight. 你的技能也许一夜之间就被淘汰了。
So I stopped looking for that 100 percent commonality with the people that I met. 因此我不再在遇到的人身上,寻找100%的共性。
Instead, I realized that oftentimes, I was the only overlap 5 between groups of people that were usually in conflict with each other. 取而代之的是,我常常意识到,自己正好处于交叉地带,位于常常有冲突发生的人群中间。
adj.沉溺于....的,对...上瘾的
- He was addicted to heroin at the age of 17.他17岁的时候对海洛因上了瘾。
- She's become addicted to love stories.她迷上了爱情小说。
adj.决定了的,坚决的;明显的,明确的
- This gave them a decided advantage over their opponents.这使他们比对手具有明显的优势。
- There is a decided difference between British and Chinese way of greeting.英国人和中国人打招呼的方式有很明显的区别。
n.实现;认识到,深刻了解
- We shall gladly lend every effort in our power toward its realization.我们将乐意为它的实现而竭尽全力。
- He came to the realization that he would never make a good teacher.他逐渐认识到自己永远不会成为好老师。
adj.已废弃的,过时的
- These goods are obsolete and will not fetch much on the market.这些货品过时了,在市场上卖不了高价。
- They tried to hammer obsolete ideas into the young people's heads.他们竭力把陈旧思想灌输给青年。
标签:
TED演讲