英语流行酷语-12
A: I guess my boyfriend and I are finally calling it quits. We live 3000 miles apart from each other. Long-distance relationships are just impossible.
A: 我想我男朋友跟我终于是要结束了。我们俩相距三千哩。长距离的感情是不可能(维持得下去)的。
B: That's not always true. There are success stories. If both of you really share the same goals and feel you want to pursue 1, then you can both have a future together. The bottom line is - you have to want it to work.
B: 不一定都是这样。有人也成功过。如果你们二个都有相同的目标, 愿意一起追求的话, 你们是可以有前途的。重点是, 你(们)必须想要这份感情(它)维持下去。
写了一堆, 好象只是为了最后要冒出"the bottom line" 这个词来而已。不过, 很多时候别人也是叽哩瓜啦说了一堆话后, 才冒出一个真正重要的关键话来, 这也就是所谓的"the bottom line"了。
57. go the extra mile 多付出代价; 多努力一点
A: Nobody will ever believe anything I say again.
A: 不会有人再相信我所说的任何话了!
B: In that case, you have to go the extra mile to prove your credibility.
B: 如果是这样的话, 你就得多作一点, 来证明你的可信度啰。
"go the extra mile" 的原意是「多走一哩路」。口语里面把它用来指「多付出一分代价」也是很有意思的喔!
58. in the driver's seat 掌有控制权
A: I should've hired somebody else to do this. A good designer 2 should always listen to the voice of her clients 3.
A: 我早该请别人来做这份差事的。一个好的设计师是应该都听从她的客户的意见的。
B: Honey, you can't always be in the driver's seat. I'm sure Lisa is a very good designer. She knows what she's doing. Have some faith in her.
B: 甜心, 妳不能凡事都想自己作主。我确信 Lisa 是一个很好的设计师。她知道要怎么作。你要对她有信心点。
"in the driver's seat" 是一个蛮好玩的词语。当一个人坐在司机(开车的人)的座位上时, 是不是要把车开向左或向右都随他呢? 所以用"in the driver's seat " 来形容一个人对一件事掌有控制权实在是再恰当不过了, 不是吗?
59. 24-7 一天到晚; 全天候
A: Are you and Christina still together?
A: 你和 Christina 还在一块儿吗?
B: No. I'm not seeing here anymore. She's the kind of girl that likes to hang around 24-7. That was just too much for me, so...
B: 没有。没跟她见面了。她是那种时时刻刻都想跟你腻在一起的那女孩子。太多(辛苦)了, 所以就....
"24-7" 指的是"24 hours a day, 7 days a week" 的意思。就变成「整天、随时」的意思了。念的时后就念 "twenty-four seven" 就好了。
我好象不会一天到晚都要和人家在一起ㄝ, 不管是再好的朋友。人和人之间还是应该彼此保留一点个人空间比较好吧?
60. missing 4 the boat 错过(好机会、好东西等)
A: Jenny is not coming today. She decided 5 to go shopping with her sister instead.
A: Jenny 今天晚上不来了。她决定改跟她姐姐逛街购物去了。
B: I see somebody is missing the boat. I wonder how she's going to feel once she finds out who's here tonight.
B: (我看到)有人错过大好机会了ㄛ.....我想知道她一旦知道今天晚上谁在这里时的反应会是怎么样。
"missing the boat" 的原意是「错过要搭的船」的意思。在口语里常被用来指「错失」的意思。好比有的人可能觉得白米比糙米看起来漂亮, 就不喜欢吃糙米。但实际上糙米的营养价值是比白米高的, 选择吃白米可能也可以看成是一种"missing the boat"啰!
- He began to pursue an easy and comfortable life.他开始追求安逸舒适的生活。
- This is the path that we shall continue to pursue.这是我们要继续走的道路。
- a lawyer with many famous clients 拥有许多著名委托人的律师
- She understood the importance of establishing a close rapport with clients. 她懂得与客户建立密切和谐的关系的重要性。
- Check the tools and see if anything is missing.检点一下工具,看有无丢失。
- All the others are here;he's the only one missing.别人都来了,就短他一个。