异类之不一样的成功启示录 第60期:遇到了麻烦
时间:2019-01-29 作者:英语课 分类:异类:不一样的成功启示录
英语课
I didn't have the money to repair it.
我没有钱修车,
So I went to the dean and my advisor 1 in sequence and I said, I have a problem.
所以我先后找到学院院长和我的指导老师,告诉他们说我遇到了麻烦。
The transmission fell out of my car, and you have me in a seven-thirty a.m. and eight-thirty a.m. class.
我汽车的动力装置出现故障,很难按照他们规定的时间,在早上七点半和八点半上课,If you could please just transfer me to the afternoon sections of those classes,如果因为汽车的问题,调整我上课的时间,让我上下午的课,I would appreciate it because of this car problem.
我将非常感激他们。
There was a neighbour who was a rancher who was going to take me in at eleven o'clock.
我的邻居是一个农场的工人,他可以在上午十一点顺便带我到学校。
My advisor was this cowboy-looking guy with a handlebar mustache, dressed in a tweed jacket.
我的指导老师很像一个牛仔,他留着大八字胡,穿着斜纹软呢外套,He said, 'well, son, after looking at your transcript 2 at Reed College,他对我说,好了,孩子,看了你在里德学院的生活版本之后,I can see you have yet to learn that everyone has to make sacrifices to get an education.
我觉得你还是应该像其他人一样,要为学习做出一定的牺牲。
Request denied.' So I went to the dean. same treatment."我的请求被驳回来了。所以我就去找院长,得到的是同样的答复。”
His voice grew tight.
他说话的节奏变得急促。
He was describing things that had happened over thirty years ago, but the memory still made him angry.
虽然说到的事情已经过去了30多年,但一想到这些往事就让他生气:
"At that point, I realized, here I was, knocking myself out to make money to make my way back to school,“这时候我意识到,在蒙大纳的这个深秋,
and it's the middle of Montana winter.
为了返回校园,我必须拼命挣钱。
I am willing to hitchhike into town every day, do whatever I had to do,我每天都必须搭顺风车到镇上,做过去我曾做过的一切事情,just to get into school and back, and they are unwilling 3 to do anything for me.
这都是为了回到学校学习,而他们并不想为我提供一些便利。
So bananas. And that was the point I decided 4 I could do without the higher-education system.
这真是疯了。这时候我终于想通了,心想即使没有接受高等教育,我同样可以做很多事情。
Even if I couldn't do without it, it was sufficiently 5 repugnant to me that I wouldn't do it anymore.
即使离开后我真是做不成任何事,我也不相信以后自己再也不能接受高等教育了。
So I dropped out of college, simple as that."所以我就离开了学院,事情就是这样简单。”
Chris Langan's experiences at Reed and Montana State represented a turning point in his life.
克里斯.兰根在里德学院和蒙大纳州立大学的经历是他人生的拐点。
As a child, he dreamed of becoming an academic.
还在孩童时期,他就梦想自己成为一名大学教师。
He should have gotten a Ph.D; universities are institutions structured, in large part,他成为一名博士:大学的制度很适合像他这样
for people with his kind of deep intellectual interests and curiosity.
智力超群,充满好奇心的人——通常情况下都是如此。
"Once he got into the university environment, I thought he would prosper 6, I really did," his brother Mark says.
“如果他融入了大学的环境,我相信他能够成功,我坚信这一点,”
"I though he would somehow find a niche 7. It made absolutely no sense to me when he left that."他的弟弟马克说,“我想他需要设法获得一个好的机会。当他离开那里的时候,我事先毫不知情。”
Without a degree, Langan floundered. He worked in construction.
没有任何学位,兰根就开始了艰苦的历程。他在建筑工地干过;One frigid 8 winter he walked on a clam 9 boat in Long Island.
他曾在长岛的捕蛤船上度过了寒冷的严冬;
n.顾问,指导老师,劝告者
- They employed me as an advisor.他们聘请我当顾问。
- The professor is engaged as a technical advisor.这位教授被聘请为技术顾问。
n.抄本,誊本,副本,肄业证书
- A transcript of the tapes was presented as evidence in court.一份录音带的文字本作为证据被呈交法庭。
- They wouldn't let me have a transcript of the interview.他们拒绝给我一份采访的文字整理稿。
adj.不情愿的
- The natives were unwilling to be bent by colonial power.土著居民不愿受殖民势力的摆布。
- His tightfisted employer was unwilling to give him a raise.他那吝啬的雇主不肯给他加薪。
adj.决定了的,坚决的;明显的,明确的
- This gave them a decided advantage over their opponents.这使他们比对手具有明显的优势。
- There is a decided difference between British and Chinese way of greeting.英国人和中国人打招呼的方式有很明显的区别。
adv.足够地,充分地
- It turned out he had not insured the house sufficiently.原来他没有给房屋投足保险。
- The new policy was sufficiently elastic to accommodate both views.新政策充分灵活地适用两种观点。
v.成功,兴隆,昌盛;使成功,使昌隆,繁荣
- With her at the wheel,the company began to prosper.有了她当主管,公司开始兴旺起来。
- It is my earnest wish that this company will continue to prosper.我真诚希望这家公司会继续兴旺发达。
n.壁龛;合适的职务(环境、位置等)
- Madeleine placed it carefully in the rocky niche. 玛德琳小心翼翼地把它放在岩石壁龛里。
- The really talented among women would always make their own niche.妇女中真正有才能的人总是各得其所。
adj.寒冷的,凛冽的;冷淡的;拘禁的
- The water was too frigid to allow him to remain submerged for long.水冰冷彻骨,他在下面呆不了太长时间。
- She returned his smile with a frigid glance.对他的微笑她报以冷冷的一瞥。