时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇


英语课

 We have the charmless misanthrope 1.  我们有毫无魅力愤世嫉俗者。


Then we have our Bud Light guy who's the happy couch potato. 有终日赖在沙发上边看电视边喝百威淡啤的男子。
And then here's a shocker: even America's most sexiest man alive,  这里有一个震惊:甚至于美国最性感的男性,
the sexiest man alive gets romantically played these days in a movie. 存活的最性感的男人,如今在电影中被浪漫地耍弄。
And then on the female side, you have the opposite, in which you have these crazy superhero women. 而在女性的层面,恰恰相反,有这些疯狂的女性超级英雄。
You know, you've got Lady Gaga. You've got our new James Bond, who's Angelina Jolie. 有Lady Gaga。有新一代的詹姆斯·邦德女郎安吉丽娜·朱莉。
And it's not just for the young, right?  不仅仅是那些年轻人,对吧。
Even Helen Mirren can hold a gun these days.  如今甚至连海伦·米伦都可以握着一把枪。
And so it feels like we have to move from this place  所以感觉上我们需要离开这个
where we've got these uber-exaggerated images into something that feels a little more normal. 有着过分夸张印象的地方,使之变得更加正常化。
So for a long time in the economic sphere, we've lived with the term "glass ceiling." 很长一段时间在经济领域里,我们和一种叫做无形顶障(妇女等在职务升迁上遇到的无形障碍)的术语生活在一起。
Now I've never really liked this term.  现在我们将永远不会喜欢这个术语。
For one thing, it puts men and women in a really antagonistic 2 relationship with one another, 首先,它将男人和女人放在一个相互敌对的关系上,
because the men are these devious 3 tricksters up there who've put up this glass ceiling. 因为在这里男人是放置这个无形顶障的狡猾的骗子。
And we're always below the glass ceiling, the women.  而我们,女人们,常常在这个无形顶障之下。
And you know we have a lot of skill and experience,  我们有很多的技术和经历,
but it's a trick, so how are you supposed to prepare to get through that glass ceiling? 但这是一个诡计,你应该如何准备冲破那个无形的顶障?
And also, "shattering the glass ceiling" is a terrible phrase.  并且,击碎无形顶障是一个糟糕的词组。
I mean what crazy person would pop their head through a glass ceiling? 多么疯狂的人将会用他的头撞穿一个无形顶障?
So the image that I like to think of, instead of glass ceiling, is the high bridge. 我想象一个图像来代替无形顶障,是一个高桥。
It's definitely terrifying to stand at the foot of a high bridge, but it's also pretty exhilarating, 站在高桥下是十分恐怖的,但也是很令人高兴的,
because it's beautiful up there, and you're looking out on a beautiful view. 因为那上面很美,你眺望美丽的远景。
And the great thing is there's no trick like with the glass ceiling.  更好的事情是与无形顶障不同的,这里没有诡计。
There's no man or woman standing 4 in the middle about to cut the cables. 这里没有男人或是女人在中间准备切断缆绳。
There's no hole in the middle that you're going to fall through.  这中间没有会令你掉下去的洞。
And the great thing is that you can take anyone along with you.  最好的事情是你可以带任何一个人和你一起。
You can bring your husband along.  你可以带着你的丈夫。
You can bring your friends, or your colleagues, or your babysitter to walk along with you. 你可以带着你的朋友,或者你的同事,又或者是你的保姆和你一起走。
And husbands can drag their wives across, if their wives don't feel ready.  丈夫们可以拉他们的妻子过去,如果他们的妻子们还没有准备好。
But the point about the high bridge is that 但是关于这个高桥重要的是
you have to have the confidence to know that you deserve to be on that bridge, 你需要有自信,知道你应当在那个桥上,
that you have all the skills and experience you need in order to walk across the high bridge, 因为你有为了走过那个高桥所需的技巧和经历,
but you just have to make the decision to take the first step and do it. Thanks very much. 但是你需要做个决定,走出第一步并且行动。谢谢。

n.恨人类的人;厌世者
  • While not a commercial success-a pattern largely unbroken until I'm Your Man-this lackadaisical triumph is an inspiration to the misanthrope in us all. 尽管并不是一个商业上的成功,这一模式直到《我是你的男人》才被打破。 这个漫不经心的胜利是对独来独往的我们的一个激励。
  • If this all strikes you as fancy, handlebar moustache talk from an old misanthrope who doesn't get things like whatever the hell we're calling “conversations” this week, maybe you're on to something. 如果你觉得我所说的复杂,就像我们今周所说的一个守旧的不愿与他人来往的人在自言自语,那可能你准备做其他事。
adj.敌对的
  • He is always antagonistic towards new ideas.他对新思想总是持反对态度。
  • They merely stirred in a nervous and wholly antagonistic way.他们只是神经质地,带着完全敌对情绪地骚动了一下。
adj.不坦率的,狡猾的;迂回的,曲折的
  • Susan is a devious person and we can't depend on her.苏姗是个狡猾的人,我们不能依赖她。
  • He is a man who achieves success by devious means.他这个人通过不正当手段获取成功。
n.持续,地位;adj.永久的,不动的,直立的,不流动的
  • After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
  • They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
标签: TED演讲