TED演讲:大爱无疆 爱本无条件(9)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇
英语课
Read that again. This is what we hear when you mourn over our existence. 听仔细了,当你们抱怨我们的存在,我们听到的就是这个意思。
This is what we hear when you pray for a cure-that your fondest wish for us is that someday we will cease to be and strangers you can love will move in behind our faces. 你们祈祷奇迹出现的时候,我们听到的是你们衷心希望,总有一天我们将不复存在。和我们长着相同面孔的陌生人将会取代我们,得到你们所有的爱。
It's a very extreme point of view, 这是一个非常极端的观点,
but it points to the reality that people engage with the life they have and they don't want to be cured or changed or eliminated. 但它指出了一个现实,人们有自己的生活,他们不想要被治愈或改变或消灭。
They want to be whoever it is that they've come to be. 他们希望,不管是谁,都能保有与生俱来的天性。
One of the families I interviewed for this project was the family of Dylan Klebold who was one of the perpetrators of the Columbine massacre 1. 为了这个项目我采访了迪伦科莱柏德的家庭,迪伦柯莱柏德是哥伦拜恩校园惨案的罪犯之一。
It took a long time to persuade them to talk to me,and once they agreed, they were so full of their story that they couldn't stop telling it. 我花了很长的时间说服他们跟我对话,他们同意了,有太多的故事,一开口就无法停下来。
And the first weekend I spent with them-the first of many-I recorded more than 20 hours of conversation. 我第一次和他们共度周末,后来还有许多次,我录了20 多个小时的谈话内容。
And on Sunday night, we were all exhausted 2. 到了周日晚上,大家都精疲力竭。
We were sitting in the kitchen. Sue 3 Klebold was fixing dinner. 我们坐在厨房里,苏在做晚饭。
And I said, If Dylan were here now, 我说,如果现在,迪伦还在这里,
do you have a sense of what you'd want to ask him? 你们想要问他些什么?
And his father said, I sure do. 他的父亲说,当然。
I'd want to ask him what the hell he thought he was doing. 我想问问他,究竟为什么这样做。
And Sue looked at the floor, and she thought for a minute. 苏望着地板,思考了一会儿。
And then she looked back up and said,I would ask him to forgive me for being his mother and never knowing what was going on inside his head. 然后抬起头来说,我会请他原谅。我不是合格的好母亲,从来不知道他的脑袋里想的是些什么。
When I had dinner with her a couple of years later-one of many dinners that we had together-she said, You know, when it first happened, 几年后,我再度与她吃晚餐,那是我们曾经许多共同的晚餐之一她说,你知道,当事情发生的时候,
I used to wish that I had never married, that I had never had children. 我曾经希望我没有结过婚,也没有孩子。
n.残杀,大屠杀;v.残杀,集体屠杀
- There was a terrible massacre of villagers here during the war.在战争中,这里的村民惨遭屠杀。
- If we forget the massacre,the massacre will happen again!忘记了大屠杀,大屠杀就有可能再次发生!
adj.极其疲惫的,精疲力尽的
- It was a long haul home and we arrived exhausted.搬运回家的这段路程特别长,到家时我们已筋疲力尽。
- Jenny was exhausted by the hustle of city life.珍妮被城市生活的忙乱弄得筋疲力尽。
标签:
TED演讲