TED演讲:新美国梦(9)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲国际问题篇
英语课
The "new better off," as I've come to call it, 我所说的“新型安逸生活”
is less about investing in the perfect family and more about investing in the imperfect village, 不是关于维持完美的家庭,而是关于维持不那么完美的村落,
whether that's relatives living under one roof, a cohousing community like mine, 不论是所有亲戚住在同一屋檐下,就像是我的合作居住社区一样,
or just a bunch of neighbors who pledge to really know and look out for one another. 还是几户邻居想要真正了解彼此。
It's good common sense, right? And yet, money has often made us dumb about reaching out. 这都不错,对吗?如今,金钱使我们麻木,不再向他人伸出双手。
The most reliable wealth is found in relationship. 但是最可靠的财富来源于人际关系之中。
The new better off is not an individual prospect 1 at all. 新型安逸生活不是一个人的成功就能达到的。
In fact, if you're a failure or you think you're a failure, I've got some good news for you: 事实上,如果你是个失败者,或者你自认为是个失败者,我有一些好消息给你,
you might be a success by standards you have not yet honored. 也许你没达到成功的标准,
Maybe you're a mediocre 2 earner but a masterful father. 也许你是个普通的上班族,但是在当父亲这方面很有一套
Maybe you can't afford your dream home, but you throw legendary 3 neighborhood parties. 也许你买不起梦寐以求的房子,但是你可以举办众所周知的社区聚会。
If you're a textbook success, the implications of what I'm saying could be more grim for you. 如果你是个标准的成功者,我要说的可能对你来说就是个坏消息。
You might be a failure by standards you hold dear but that the world doesn't reward. Only you can know. 可能你自认为的成功标准别人都不买账,这样你可能也是个失败者,只有你自己知道。
I know that I am not a tribute to my great-grandmother, 这并不是向我的曾祖母致敬
who lived such a short and brutish life, if I earn enough money to afford every creature comfort. 她的生命如此短暂残酷,如果我挣到足够多的钱,让所有人都过上舒适的生活。
You can't buy your way out of suffering or into meaning. 花再多的钱,也不能摆脱痛苦,也不能使人生有意义。
There is no home big enough to erase 4 the pain that she must have endured. 再大的房子也不能抹去她所承受的痛苦。
I am a tribute to her if I live a life as connected and courageous 5 as possible. 如果我的生活尽可能地与他人联系紧密,尽可能勇敢,这才是向她致敬。
n.前景,前途;景色,视野
- This state of things holds out a cheerful prospect.事态呈现出可喜的前景。
- The prospect became more evident.前景变得更加明朗了。
adj.平常的,普通的
- The student tried hard,but his work is mediocre. 该生学习刻苦,但学业平庸。
- Only lazybones and mediocre persons could hanker after the days of messing together.只有懒汉庸才才会留恋那大锅饭的年代。
adj.传奇(中)的,闻名遐迩的;n.传奇(文学)
- Legendary stories are passed down from parents to children.传奇故事是由父母传给孩子们的。
- Odysseus was a legendary Greek hero.奥狄修斯是传说中的希腊英雄。
v.擦掉;消除某事物的痕迹
- He tried to erase the idea from his mind.他试图从头脑中抹掉这个想法。
- Please erase my name from the list.请把我的名字从名单上擦去。
adj.勇敢的,有胆量的
- We all honour courageous people.我们都尊重勇敢的人。
- He was roused to action by courageous words.豪言壮语促使他奋起行动。
标签:
TED演讲