娜塔莉波特曼:哈佛演讲中的9道人生课
英语课
1. She suffers from impostor syndrome 1, still.
她觉得自己有“骗子综合症”(患者纵然功成名就,也依然无法内化自己所取得的成就)。
“I’m still insecure about my own worthiness,” Portman said, telling the audience that at the time she was admitted to Harvard, she “felt like there had been some mistake, that I wasn’t smart enough to be in this company, that I would have to prove I wasn’t some dumb actress.”
波特曼告诉听众说,刚被哈佛大学录取的时候,"我仍怀疑自己的价值,我觉得一定是哪儿出错了、在这里我不够聪明,我必须要证明自己并不是花瓶演员。”
2. And if you suffer from impostor syndrome? Don’t. Seriously.
如果你也觉得有“骗子综合症”。千万别这样。真的。
“You are here for a reason,” she said.
“你能来到这儿一定是有原因的”,娜塔莉说。
3. Not having any clue what you’re doing can be a blessing 2 in disguise.
有时候不知道自己在做什么并不一定就是坏事。
“You can harness that inexperience to carve out your own path, one that is free of the burden of knowing how things are supposed to be.”
“你能利用这种经验的缺乏开拓出自己的路,其中(的好处)之一便是对于事情该如何进展全无负担。”
4. You can learn great life lessons in teeny-tiny sushi restaurants.
在小小的寿司餐馆里你也能学到大道理。
Speaking about a recent trip to Tokyo and a memorable 3 meal there, Portman said, “It’s not about quantity; it’s about taking pleasure in the perfection and beauty of the particular.”
谈到最近去日本的一次旅行和在那儿享受了难以忘记的一餐,波特曼说道:“这不在于是多是少,而在于从其完美和美感中获得快乐。”
5.She still remembers the mean things a New York Times reporter said about her first film.
波特曼还记得《纽约时报》一名记者对于她电影处女作撰写的刻薄评论。
“Ms. Portman poses better than she acts” was the diss that Natalie recalled word-for-word during her speech. (Geez, New York Times. She was 12! Harsh, much?)
娜塔莉在演讲中一字不差地回忆到那个评论,“波特曼小姐造型摆的要比她演的好”。
6. Inexperience can be as good as courage.
经验不足也因勇气而成为一件好事。
“I didn’t recognize risks as risks,” she said of the gutsy career moves she made out of ignorance rather than bravery. “Make use of the fact that you don’t doubt yourself too much right now.”
我并不把冒险看做普通意义上的冒险,”波特曼说她事业上大胆的前行都是因为出于无知而非胆量,“在你还没有过多怀疑自己的时候好好利用这一点吧。”
7. And you can write any story you want on a blank slate 4.
你可以在白纸上写任何你想写的故事。
“Your inexperience can lead you down a path where you [either] confirm to someone else’s values, or where you make something wholly yours,” Portman said.
波特曼说:“你的经验不足引领你走上这样的路:要么是迎合别人的价值,要么就是你形成自己的价值。”
8. Making time to do good works is worth it.
腾出时间来做好事是值得的。
“It’s a cliche 5 because it’s true: that helping 6 others ends up helping you more than anyone.”
“尽管这是老生常谈,但的确在理:帮助他人最终会更多地帮助到自己。”
9. And finally, the friends you make in college are ones you should hang onto.
最后,在大学时期交到的朋友是值得你好好维持的。
“Grab the good people around you,” Portman said. “Don’t let them go.”
波特曼说:“牢牢抓住你身边的好人,别把他们放走了。”
n.综合病症;并存特性
- The Institute says that an unidentified virus is to blame for the syndrome. 该研究所表示,引起这种综合症的是一种尚未确认的病毒。
- Results indicated that 11 fetuses had Down syndrome. 结果表明有11个胎儿患有唐氏综合征。
n.祈神赐福;祷告;祝福,祝愿
- The blessing was said in Hebrew.祷告用了希伯来语。
- A double blessing has descended upon the house.双喜临门。
adj.值得回忆的,难忘的,特别的,显著的
- This was indeed the most memorable day of my life.这的确是我一生中最值得怀念的日子。
- The veteran soldier has fought many memorable battles.这个老兵参加过许多难忘的战斗。
n.板岩,石板,石片,石板色,候选人名单;adj.暗蓝灰色的,含板岩的;vt.用石板覆盖,痛打,提名,预订
- The nominating committee laid its slate before the board.提名委员会把候选人名单提交全体委员会讨论。
- What kind of job uses stained wood and slate? 什么工作会接触木头污浊和石板呢?
n./a.陈词滥调(的);老生常谈(的);陈腐的
- You should always try to avoid the use of cliche. 你应该尽量避免使用陈词滥调。
- The old cliche is certainly true:the bigger car do mean bigger profits.有句老话倒的确说得不假:车大利大。
标签:
哈佛