商务礼节美语第14期:有面子(1)
时间:2018-12-16 作者:英语课 分类:标准美语发音的13个秘诀 CD4
Jerry要去中国出差,找同事Amy请教。
Jerry: Hey Amy...your family is from China, right?
嘿,艾米……你来在中国对吗?
A:Yep. I was born and raised in Shanghai. Why do you ask?
是的,我出生在上海,并且在那儿长大的。你为什么问这个?
J: Well, I hope you don't mind...but I'm planning a business trip to China soon and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers.
嗯,我希望你不要介意……我打算不久到中国商务旅行,我想知道你有没有什么建议?
A: You mean like where to go for food or shopping?
你是说到哪里吃饭或者购物吗?
J: That would be good, too. But I'm actually hoping you might give me some insights into doing business in China.
说这些也不错。但是我是希望你能给我些在中国做生意的启示。
A: Ah...sure! I think I can help. Do you have a specific question?
哈……当然可以!我想我能帮助到你。你有特别想要问我的吗?
Jerry准备去中国出差,希望Amy能给自己点建议give me some pointers. pointer is spelled p-o-i-n-t-e-r, pointer是指点,建议的意思。Amy从小在上海长大,看来Jerry算是找对人了。Jerry并不是想了解吃饭、购物的事,而是想知道在中国做生意的一些规矩。
J: Well, for starters, what do they mean by "saving face?"
嗯,首先,有面子是什么意思?
A: "Saving face" is a catch-all term for the concept of honor. In China there is a protocol 1 to everything and it should be followed, otherwise you and the other party might be embarrassed.
有面子是所有跟荣誉和颜面有关的问题。在中国所有的事情都是有规矩的,并且都是要遵守的,否则会让人觉得没面子。
J: So in short...saving face is about avoiding embarrassment 2?
因此,简而言之……有面子是避免难为情吗?
A: Exactly. Say you're late to a meeting. This would cause you to lose face.
的确是这样。比如你开会迟到了,这样的话会让你没有头面子。
For starters, 首先,Jerry想知道什么是有面子,saving face. Amy解释说,saving face is a catch-all term for the concept of honor. 有面子包括了所有跟荣誉和颜面有关的问题。
这里所说的catch-all is spelled c-a-t-c-h, catch, a-l-l, all, catch-all,意思是全部包含、统统适用的。Amy说,中国人干什么都讲究规矩,protocol, p-r-o-t-o-c-o-l, protocol, 按规矩做事,大家都有面子,破坏了规矩,就会让人lose face,丢脸,比如说开会迟到。
J: How can you go about regaining 4 your "face", or your honor?
如何才能挽回面子,或者你的颜面呢?
A: It depends on how serious the offense 5 was. If you were late, you can repeatedly apologize and the other person will probably forgive you.
这要看你的错误的严重程度了。如果你迟到了,你如果重复道歉,别人也许会原谅你。
J: But I would need to apologize more times than I would if I was late here in America?
但是在美国我可能要道歉更多次才行。
A: Yes. Make many apologies. The person will probably say it's not a big deal, but in fact it could be a pretty big deal to them, so make sure to say sorry if you make a mistake.
是的,再三地道歉。对方也许会说没什么大不了的,但是事实上,他们在心里会非常在意,因此你要确信犯错的时候要及时道歉。
如何才能regain 3 face挽回面子呢?Amy说,这要看你错误的严重程度。It depends on how serious the offense was. 如果开会迟到,你最好使劲道歉,请求对方原谅。对方可能嘴上会说,it's not a big deal,没什么大不了的,但事实上,他们心里可能非常在意,所以一定要再三道歉。
- We must observe the correct protocol.我们必须遵守应有的礼仪。
- The statesmen signed a protocol.那些政治家签了议定书。
- She could have died away with embarrassment.她窘迫得要死。
- Coughing at a concert can be a real embarrassment.在音乐会上咳嗽真会使人难堪。
- He is making a bid to regain his World No.1 ranking.他正为重登世界排名第一位而努力。
- The government is desperate to regain credibility with the public.政府急于重新获取公众的信任。