03-The More Loving One
时间:2019-02-02 作者:英语课 分类:摘取梦想的启蒙星
--W.H.Auden/W.H.奥登
Looking up at the stars, I know quite well 仰望群星的时分,我一清二楚
,
That, for all they care, I can go to hell, 尽管它们关怀备至,我亦有可
能赴地府,
But on earth indifference 1 is the least 可是尘世间我们丝毫不必畏惧
We have to dread 2 from man or beast. 人类或禽兽的那份冷漠。
How should we like it were stars to burn 倘若群星燃烧着关怀我们的激情
,
With a passion for us we could not return? 我们却无法回报,我们作何感
想?
If equal affection cannot be, 倘若无法产生同样的感情,
Let the more loving one be me. 让我成为更有爱心的人。
Admirer as I think I am 尽管我自视为群星的崇拜者,
Of stars that do not give a damn, 它们满不在乎,
I cannot, now I see them ,say 现在我看群星,我却难以启齿,
I missed one terribly all day. 说我成天思念一颗星星。
Were all stars to disappear or die 倘若所有的星星消失或者消亡,
I should learn to look at an empty sky 我应该学会仰望空荡的天空,
And feel its total dark sublime 3, 同时感受天空一片漆黑的崇高,
Though this might take me a little time. 虽然这样可能要花费一点时间。
- I was disappointed by his indifference more than somewhat.他的漠不关心使我很失望。
- He feigned indifference to criticism of his work.他假装毫不在意别人批评他的作品。
- We all dread to think what will happen if the company closes.我们都不敢去想一旦公司关门我们该怎么办。
- Her heart was relieved of its blankest dread.她极度恐惧的心理消除了。