VOA标准英语2013--戴维斯大使对六方会谈的看法
时间:2019-02-01 作者:英语课 分类:VOA常速英语2013年(九月)
戴维斯大使对六方会谈的看法
“The purpose of the Six-Party process is to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula, which in effect means that North Korea needs to move forward to denuclearize, not go in the other direction, which is what they’ve been doing,” Special Representative for North Korea Policy Glyn Davies said to members of the press when arriving in Seoul, South Korea, on the first stop of a three-nation visit to North Asia that also included Beijing and Tokyo.
“The obstacle to resuming Six-Party Talks remains 1 . . . that North Korea continues to assert its nuclear weapons status,” Ambassador Davies said. “The [North Koreans] declared the Six-Party process dead, and they said that they . . . would never negotiate on the subject of their nuclear weapons capability 2. I think the issue should be, ‘What should North Korea be doing to re-establish a basis where Six-Party Talks could meaningfully take place?’”
The United States and the Republic of Korea called on North Korea to meets its commitments and international obligations, including to irreversibly denuclearize. The United States is open to resolving the issue through dialogue, but the dialogue must be meaningful in order to move toward denuclearization.
The United States remains committed to authentic 3 and credible 4 talks on denuclearization to implement 5 the September 19, 2005 Joint 6 Statement of the Six-Party Talks to bring North Korea into compliance 7 with applicable U.N. Security Council resolutions through irreversible steps leading to denuclearization. But the onus 8 remains on North Korea to first take meaningful steps to show it is serious about denuclearization.
“We simply do not see the positive attitude of North Korea toward fulfilling its obligations, its commitments, to living up to United Nations Security Council resolutions,” Ambassador Davies said. “We need to see some sign that they are sincere about what is the central issue of the Six-Party process, which is the peaceful denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”
“We’re calling for North Korea to take concrete action,” Ambassador Davies said in conclusion. “I do not think it is yet time . . . for . . . the Six-Party process . . . But let’s hope that someday soon that consensus 9 is achieved and we are able to go forward.”
- He ate the remains of food hungrily.他狼吞虎咽地吃剩余的食物。
- The remains of the meal were fed to the dog.残羹剩饭喂狗了。
- She has the capability to become a very fine actress.她有潜力成为杰出演员。
- Organizing a whole department is beyond his capability.组织整个部门是他能力以外的事。
- This is an authentic news report. We can depend on it. 这是篇可靠的新闻报道, 我们相信它。
- Autumn is also the authentic season of renewal. 秋天才是真正的除旧布新的季节。
- The news report is hardly credible.这则新闻报道令人难以置信。
- Is there a credible alternative to the nuclear deterrent?是否有可以取代核威慑力量的可靠办法?
- Don't undertake a project unless you can implement it.不要承担一项计划,除非你能完成这项计划。
- The best implement for digging a garden is a spade.在花园里挖土的最好工具是铁锹。
- I had a bad fall,which put my shoulder out of joint.我重重地摔了一跤,肩膀脫臼了。
- We wrote a letter in joint names.我们联名写了封信。
- I was surprised by his compliance with these terms.我对他竟然依从了这些条件而感到吃惊。
- She gave up the idea in compliance with his desire.她顺从他的愿望而放弃自己的主意。
- The onus is on government departments to show cause why information cannot bedisclosed.政府部门有责任说明不能把信息公开的理由。
- The onus of proof lies with you.你有责任提供证据。